Printer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Printer

Postby susan kennedy on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 am

Can anyone recommend an all-in-one printer which supports vista and linux please, available in the UK?
susan kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Printer

Postby CavalierBob on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:29 am

Not a particular model recommendation for your situation Susan, but I have an HP 2710 All in One that works very well under both XP and Linux (I don't have Vista). HPLIP (a driver package HP helps to develop for Linux) has all functions but faxing from the PC working. I think the fax from PC function is me not having something set up correctly, but the faxing from the printer works so not a big deal.

Mint setup the printer automatically, scanning even work without any intervention from me. Well, once I installed Xsane scanning worked.

So my recommendation would be to narrow your search around HP models.

Hope this helps some.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Katzedecimal on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:31 am

I have an Epson all-in-one that worked in XP. Mint recognised it as a printer straight off the bat; after I MintInstalled Flegita, I had the scanner function recognised and working. So, the Epson all-in-ones are also supported (when I get home I can find you the specific model number, if you require it) Hope this helps :)
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CavalierBob on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Katzedecimal wrote:I have an Epson all-in-one that worked in XP. Mint recognised it as a printer straight off the bat; after I MintInstalled Flegita, I had the scanner function recognised and working. So, the Epson all-in-ones are also supported (when I get home I can find you the specific model number, if you require it) Hope this helps :)

Good to know that the Epson's also work well. I'll keep this in mind if/when the HP dies. Gotta love having options! :)
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby susan kennedy on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanks for your help Bob, have been sourcing some HP All-in-ones this afternoon, hopefully will get something soon.

Susan
susan kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby susan kennedy on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Katzdecimal,

Would appreciate you the model number of the Epson Printer which you are using, am still on look out for a compatible printer .

Many thanks

Susan
susan kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Katzedecimal on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:39 pm

susan kennedy wrote: Would appreciate you the model number of the Epson Printer which you are using, am still on look out for a compatible printer .

You betcha. I'm using an Epson Stylus CX5000 combination printer/scanner/copier. It's a few years old now but is working fine in Mint.
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions