Dual Boot Mint & OS X

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: Dual Boot Mint & OS X

Post by miket »

Hi !
Chilibird wrote:Greetings,

I'm currently using OS X 10.5. I am also, unfortunately, a Linux newbie. However, with the availability of a free system, and practically native support of Open Source software (which I use almost exclusively anyways), I figured I'd give Linux a shot. At the recommendation of friends, I've investigated Linux Mint, and Ubuntu.

I've run into all sorts of fun installing Ubuntu. I can get the install to run correctly on a 25 GB partition, but OS X 10.5 still assumes it's the primary system and doesn't recognize the Ubuntu partion to allow me to boot into Ubuntu, thus making the install useless. Since Mint is a downstream project of Ubuntu (from my reading), I figured I would have the same issue upon installation.

Is there any way to install Mint without having to completely wipe OS X off the disk? I would like to maintain OS X in the event Mint doesn't work out (say for school), but Google has been mum on help for the topic. The only related post I found here is that OS X can be installed once Mint is, but I would much rather not have to wipe OS X if possible.

Thanks for any help, and hopefully this post made sense,
-Kevin

The best thing for you to do is install VirtualBox under OS X and then Mint under it in a Virtual Machine ...
Do a search on google for VirtualBox and it will give you the URL to the VB site ...

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”