apt/sources.list versus Synaptic

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

apt/sources.list versus Synaptic

Postby aus9 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi

I am a LinuxMint and Ubuntu/Debian newbie but quite experienced on rpm distros.
I have installed Mint v4 aka Daryna KDE Community edition

I can view my /etc/apt/sources.list and have made no changes.
I can view and have made no changes to Synaptic.

I love the bootup speed which is for me about one minute which beats Mandriva by about 30 seconds.
I have disabled some services but have not done anything too fancy as still in learning mode.

I have done a test of updating Mint using the KDE MintUpdate network applet and it works fine thanks.

Question (1)

How come Synaptic shows about 16 source categories versus /etc/apt/sources.list of 6 (non-commented) repositories?

For example...in sources.list I have
## +++ Medibuntu +++
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free

Which suggests that only non-free packages will be searched.

But in Synaptic I have for Medibutu
/free
/main
/multiverse
/non-free.....(a match)
/universe

question (2)

Do I assume that I use the icon to update the system software but I use Synaptic...it uses a wider range of repositories so I will get a better update?

Let me know if you need more info or want me to be clearer...because I am confused.

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer....and feel free to be as blunt as you like.

cheerio
Last edited by aus9 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
aus9
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: apt/sources.lst versus Synaptic

Postby msuggs on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:52 pm

Synaptic and the update icon are both front-ends for apt and all use the same repositories. The advantage of using the mintUpdate over synaptic or apt-get is that it uses the levelled update system which is designed to protect the stability of Mint. Blanket upgrades with apt-get or synaptic will install level 4 and 5 updates and may cause you problems. Unless you know how to fix them it's better to stick with level 1 and 2 updates, be discerning with level 3 and leave level 4 and 5 alone.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:27 am

aus9,

You are reading the source list incorrectly. That one line you referenced is for the gutsy main, the free, and the non free repositories that are located at medibuntu org. The other repositories that you are seeing are the individual repositories that are referenced as a group in that one line of the sources list.

I think omns addressed your other question quite adequately. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: apt/sources.list versus Synaptic

Postby aus9 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:46 am

omns
Thanks...I will only use the MintUpdate applet to update levels 1 and 2 until I know more.

Fred
Thanks.

In re-reading my link I can see free and non-free....I assume the word 'gutsy' means main?

To anyone still interested

So now I know its the one file /etc/apt/sources.list I have some follow up questions if I may.

1) I am in Australia and subject to monthly download limits on ISP internode.

I have seen this post, What Mint is based on
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... tsy#p74736

and I am on Mint 4 KDE so thats Gutsy Ubuntu aka 7.1

I am having trouble seeing a nice Kubutu updates mirror at my ISP but I can see this which I hope others can see
ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/pool
which lists
/main
/multiverse
/restricted
/universe

But I gather this is Ubuntu = gnome and not going to help?

(I am a KDE lover)

2) I attempted to find a "pool" for Kubuntu at these links but failed dismally...I am not sure if its me or my lack of understanding of what to look for....or its just the ISP has not quite enough mirrors??
ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubunt ... sy/release
ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubunt ... untu/gutsy

the links are good but no mention of pool or lots of files under /a /b etc that can be found under other pool sites.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I would like to use Mint as most things work so if you have the time feel free to give any advice you can

cheerio
Last edited by aus9 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
aus9
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:36 am

aus9,

I too prefer KDE. And no, Kubuntu is not Mint KDE. Mint 5 KDE version should be out shortly. It is in closed testing now. Especially since you have download limits, I would be patient and wait until the Mint KDE version came out and download it.

To be quite honest, all the Ubuntu hardy versions are so buggy that they are almost unusable. I am ashamed for Linux to have such a buggy mess out there for everybody to see.

If you can't wait for Mint KDE I would suggest sidux. In spite of the fact that it is based on Debian unstable it is a very solid KDE distro. I don't know what your Linux knowledge level is but sidux will be a steeper learning curve than Mint KDE however.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby aus9 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:34 am

Fred

Yes I will be keen to look out for new Mint KDE.

In the meantime I did a test....I am old and ugly enough to have good backups using partimage but still a Ubuntu style newbie....in case you hadn't guessed. I have looked at Sidux btw but I like Mint for fast boot and Sidux is not mirrored by my ISP (AFAIK)

1) In looking at my sources.list I spotted that under
## +++ Gutsy (Ubuntu 7.10) +++
a number of links start with the string
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

so all I did with root powers was to change those strings to
deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/

2) I am not sure if it worked correctly because my fading brain cells thought I saw level 1 and 2 updates b4 the change and after the change I saw only level 3.

But assuming the MintUpdate uses the source.lst file as suggested...I won't get crippled speeds called shaping in Australia.

I am aware there is at least one other Internode user on this forum,
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ode#p60637
But he has not tried anything and run off overseas.
aus9
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aus9 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 am

Fred

Well I was half right....my ISP does not mirror any sidux iso etc.....but it does mirror debian sid.

I have just installed sidux kde edition to hard drive and boot up is 50 seconds.

Having learnt a bit with Mint...it was a bit easier to setup my sources.lst in sidux so it farewell for now.

I have no issue with Mint developers relying on communty members having to patch to get a KDE CE together. This is still a fine distro but for the moment circumstances with my download limits kinda force me to choose distros that are not a part of my download limits.

cheerio
aus9
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 am

aus9,

I'm also in Australia and don't have any problems with download limits. You need to shop around for a better ISP.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions