apt/sources.list versus Synaptic

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

Re: apt/sources.lst versus Synaptic

Post by msuggs »

Synaptic and the update icon are both front-ends for apt and all use the same repositories. The advantage of using the mintUpdate over synaptic or apt-get is that it uses the levelled update system which is designed to protect the stability of Mint. Blanket upgrades with apt-get or synaptic will install level 4 and 5 updates and may cause you problems. Unless you know how to fix them it's better to stick with level 1 and 2 updates, be discerning with level 3 and leave level 4 and 5 alone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

aus9,

You are reading the source list incorrectly. That one line you referenced is for the gutsy main, the free, and the non free repositories that are located at medibuntu org. The other repositories that you are seeing are the individual repositories that are referenced as a group in that one line of the sources list.

I think omns addressed your other question quite adequately. :-)

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

aus9,

I too prefer KDE. And no, Kubuntu is not Mint KDE. Mint 5 KDE version should be out shortly. It is in closed testing now. Especially since you have download limits, I would be patient and wait until the Mint KDE version came out and download it.

To be quite honest, all the Ubuntu hardy versions are so buggy that they are almost unusable. I am ashamed for Linux to have such a buggy mess out there for everybody to see.

If you can't wait for Mint KDE I would suggest sidux. In spite of the fact that it is based on Debian unstable it is a very solid KDE distro. I don't know what your Linux knowledge level is but sidux will be a steeper learning curve than Mint KDE however.

Fred
msuggs

Re: apt/sources.list versus Synaptic

Post by msuggs »

aus9,

I'm also in Australia and don't have any problems with download limits. You need to shop around for a better ISP.

Return to “Beginner Questions”