Trouble dual booting with GRUB

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Trouble dual booting with GRUB

Postby Auger on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:14 am

Can anyone out there help me resolve my dual boot problems? I can only boot to mint off of the CD. Once installed on the Hard Drive with the GRUB boot manager I can not boot to the system off of the Hard drive.
The error message I get is:
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
Krnel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root/dev/hda6 no single
[Linux-bzImage, setup-0x2a00, size=0x1d21d8]

So my guess is that the the Kernel can not be found at the location given in the configuration file (/boot/grub/manu.lst???). I have a SATA and an IDE hard drive on the system so the HD's sometimes switch priority and I would bet the operating system bood partition should be "hdb6" not "hda6". Also I would like to switch the boot manager's default OS listing. But I can not find the "menu.lst" file to tweak it when I boot from the CD. Am I looking for the right configuration file and how do I find this file when I boot from the CD.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and great OS by the way.
Auger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trouble dual booting with GRUB

Postby grimdestripador on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:15 pm

i believe its menu.list is in /boot, also at boot you can drop out of graphical grub session (press escape), to enter the text based grub chooser menu, at this point. press "e" on the entry to edit, then select the line to edit, pressing "e" on it again to edit that one line. now start renumbering (re ordering), start with root(0,0) and change to root(1,0). press enter to confirm, then press "b" to boot. If that doesn't fix, try with changing the kernel from /dev/sda# to /dev/sdb# (where # represents the original a,b,c,d...).

I have extreme trouble with this myself, please tell me there is an easy way from grub to auto fix itself.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions