Is Linux Mint 5 support .exe file?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Is Linux Mint 5 support .exe file?

Postby justwanttotry on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:22 pm

I want to try Linux Mint 5, but I have some software that I have to use which is in .exe. Can someone tell me whether it works for exe or not?
justwanttotry
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is Linux Mint 5 support .exe file?

Postby miket on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:23 am

Hi !

justwanttotry wrote:I want to try Linux Mint 5, but I have some software that I have to use which is in .exe. Can someone tell me whether it works for exe or not?

By default Linux will not run Windows .EXE programs ...

You can however run them in a Virtual Machine running Windows.
Search the forum for VirtualBox and you will find how to create a virtual machine.

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is Linux Mint 5 support .exe file?

Postby freedom_is_chaos on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:50 pm

You can try to use WINE to "emulate" windows and use them. Check the AppDB on the Winehq.com website and search for the applications you would like to try. They will tell you a rough estimate on those that might have tried to use your applications via WINE. This methods avoids the extra resources it takes to run a Windows Virtual Machine.
freedom_is_chaos
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions