Sharing "Dial UP" with network Bridge

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: Sharing "Dial UP" with network Bridge

Post by miket »

Hi !
charlier1977 wrote:Just wanted to clarify my problem
At my house in order for me to get connected to the internet I have to use Kppp to connect to my Cell phone via Bluetooth and connect over a GPRS connection. In order for me to get out to the internet I have to disable my wireless connection at home. I use a wireless router for file sharing with my NAS and other computers plus a connection to my networked printer. If my wireless card is active then I can not connect to the internet but I do connect to the phone and GPRS.

I am not looking to share my internet connection with the other pcs just want to be able to access files or print while connected to the internet.
Anybody have any ideas
This can be done but it's not for the faint hearted.
Basically you are going to have to setup your networking manually, not via the Network Manager Icon on the Menu Bar ...
You will have to setup manual static routes for your wireless LAN so that it is always available, then when you dial out to the internet you will have to add routes
to the routing table to route all none local LAN traffic out to the internet but any traffic for your local LAN via the Wireless LAN ....

I suggest you do some reading up on the "route" command ("man route" from within a terminal) and also read up on the /etc/network/interfaces file ....

If you do later want to share your internet connection with the internal LAN then you will also need to read up on IP Masquerading ...

Have fun !

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”