Dual Boot Mint/XP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot Mint/XP

Postby b598650 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Hello, i am new to Linux Mint and Dual Booting so this is just a very basic question. What i would like to do is keep windows xp on the computer but also use Linux Mint manly as my home server to save files to. If i were to do this, would i be able to access my files even when windows xp is running, or would i need to use linux mint to retreve my files? I have a seperate hard drive just for the server and obviously want to be able to use it whenever the computer is turned on. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
b598650
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot Mint/XP

Postby rbanavara on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:10 pm

normally if you have to exchange files betweeen XP & Linux, the conventional way is to have a filesystem which is common for both (r/w by both) like FAT32. But now things are changing. Mint can read NTFS & there are programs for XP that can read ext3 filesystem. So its up to you... whether you want 3 partitions with one having XP the other Linux & the third common for both to share files (FAT32) OR with 2 partitions one for XP having ext2 IFS for reading ext3 FS & of course mint can read XP NTFS.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions