my Elyssa install is sluggish...!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbanavara

my Elyssa install is sluggish...!

Post by rbanavara »

I find Elyssa sometimes go slow - getting stuck. its like this all will be fine for 3/4minutes suddenly it seems like the system has stuck & it returns to normal this cycle keeps repeating. I tried to monitor with sysinfo & top, but I dont find any CPU intensive task when it gets stuck. When I am having performance issues, how do I go about de-bugging it? is there a way to trace system processes over a period and find out what were the process that were consuming peak resources regularly?

If the system gets stuck, it could be due to one of the following: CPU utilisation / Heavy Disk access / running out of RAM & swapping. I dont see any HDD activity when it gets stuc & there is ample RAM free (I have 2GB Ram + 2GB Swap). Please share your ideas.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kansasnoob

Re: my Elyssa install is sluggish...!

Post by kansasnoob »

I know very little ............. almost nothing! I just started with Mint myself, but among my first system killers were:

(1) Changing screensavers! It just works best on a blank screen.

(2) Changing desktop backgrounds, etc. The release notes even mention a bit about that:

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php#knownIssues

(3) For some reason Opera browser is slow as molasses in Elyssa and also Ubuntu Hardy.

(4) You might check in Control Center > (Look and Feeel) Appearance > Visual Effects. my video card is just not up to the task so I must choose "None".

I hope that helps.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Another thought! Probably lame, but change the Mint Updater from updating every 5 minutes to once a day!
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

Thanks kansasnoob for your inputs. Changing the Mint Updater from 5mins to once in a day is definitely worth considering. I just would wish I could track which process is the culprit.

I wont be able to test this out now, but will definitely try this & update if I could feel the difference due to this.
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

*BUMP* Please help me... let me know of whatever tools / tips that you can think of.
BAD

Post by BAD »

I have found Ubuntu 8.04 Mint 5 and Fedora 9 to all run slow. Ubuntu 8.04.1 seems to be better try this on your computer and see if it makes a difference.
Or wait until October these next releases should be better.

Return to “Beginner Questions”