Firefox launches automatically on startup in Elyssa.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Firefox launches automatically on startup in Elyssa.

Postby kansasnoob on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Well, I'm never happy until I break something ......... honestly!

This began after trying a few different methods to get the flash plug-in to stop crashing Firefox. I've tried several things. Some seem to work fairly well. Like this:

Run the following commands:

* apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport
* apt-get install nspluginwrapper
* apt-get install libflashsupport
* apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

And variations thereof. (I'm too lazy to dig up all of the tutorials I've followed)

At one point I downloaded the tar.gz from the "prompt" in Youtube while I had no "native" flash installed just to see how it worked ............. yeah, I know I play too much, the real beauty is that flash no longer crashes Firefox. Never! I've really run it through the paces!

But I now have an odd thing happening that causes me to worry about security. Firefox launches automatically at start up or restart, etc. Every time! Rather odd behavior and in my searching I ran across this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13459

Which also makes me wonder if I shouldn't create a root account, which I've never done in any Ubuntu distro.

I'll just add that I really love this distro. Great look and feel. And reinstalling doesn't bother me in the least .......... I know that I'm in the playing mode, if it ain't broke I haven't played hard enough :D
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox launches automatically on startup in Elyssa.

Postby sourwire on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Try going to "Sessions" (I'm assuming you're using GNOME) and find "Startup Programs". If you see Firefox there, you should be able to remove its entry so that it doesn't run every time you log in.
sourwire

Postby kansasnoob on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:28 pm

sourwire wrote:Try going to "Sessions" (I'm assuming you're using GNOME) and find "Startup Programs". If you see Firefox there, you should be able to remove its entry so that it doesn't run every time you log in.

It's not there. That was one of the first things I checked.

I fear I created a security breach playing around. I've also checked sudoers and everything is still set to defaults.

I did also try removing all Firefox and then reinstalling all Firefox.

Same with flash. And I deleted the flash tar.gz files, and ran both sudo apt-get autoclean and sudo apt-get clean. Sudo apt-get -f install doesn't bring up any unmet dependencies.

I think I broke it :oops:

But I half way expected to.
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kansasnoob on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 am

OK, it took me a while to recreate this situation, but it's NOT just a flash issue.

The xulrunner level 3 updates are the straw that breaks the camels back. So, I'd strongly suggest changing Mint Update preferences to Level 1 and Level 2 only!
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions