Wireless

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Wireless

Postby Linuxhelp on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:20 pm

I don't broadcast my wireless, I added it to the wireless list, entered the password with the right type of encoding and tried open and shared options. Both don't seem to let me connect to the wireless network, although it connects to broadcasting networks fine. How can I have it find my non broadcasting network?
Linuxhelp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wireless

Postby Husse on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:24 am

I think you need to clarify a bit.
You refer to broadcasting the SSID I presume and you have an access point - right?
Do you detect the AP at all?
An advice is to use roaming mode for the wifi card and temporarily broadcast the SSID
Hopefully you see it now and can connect - if not you may have to make a quick test and see if you can connect without security.
After that I think you can stop broadcasting the SSID
And contrary to popular believes you are less secure not broadcasting SSID than broadcasting it. Can't give you references - links - but with some googling you should find it (Me too - but I don't have the time)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions