Mplayer pains

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rek
Level 1
Level 1

Mplayer pains

Post by rek »

Video streaming of WwiTV sites is main function of my pc needs.Iwatch MLbaseball while using PC in smaller window while I do other things. The Mplayer picture is way too small and I can't increase the size, in addition the full screen is too crappy to use.
1. How can I make a permanent switch to VLC as default? In MS,I downloaded and clicked make default and it was accomplished.

Have three mint boxes and updated all to Elyssa. Purchased a commercial disc for installation using full hard drive. My rec room box installed with Totem player from Celina. My other two installed Mplayer. The Totem player works fine.
2.Does Mint utilize from installed programs when making a new installation?

Need detailed instructions since I'm not very knowledgeable about Linux and this 80 year old man's memory doesn't work well learning as previously.
Thanks-REK

I
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
arkta

Re: Mplayer pains

Post by arkta »

Have you tried going into firefox's preferences (edit-> preferences) and going to the applications tab and setting a new action for asf videos?
rbanavara

Re: Mplayer pains

Post by rbanavara »

you can try this out:

assuming you still have mplayer plugin, when the video is playing, run this from the command line:

Code: Select all

pgrep -lf mplayer
This will give you the command being used by mplayer plugin and it will have a link for the streaming video. Now open your favorite video player & open this URL.

Also there is a firefox plugin which allows you to open all streaming videos in external players.

Return to “Beginner Questions”