Mint kinda broken...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint kinda broken...

Postby Dark_Fire on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Hey,

Well, my mint started getting really slow, and then, not evin the Administrative Process wanted to start... Sounds allot like this one:
madmanmick wrote:... Aside from that, does anyone else know how to fix this recurring problem i get? Basically, when I try to start a program from the GNOME menu or mintmenu that requires administrator privileges (e.g. Synaptic, and any administration or preference applications), a little tray icon saying "starting administrative process" pops up, and then disappears. I'm pretty sure its the window that asks for your password to allow a program to run - the problem is that it doesn't actually show the window on my screen, and disappears after 5 seconds - hence the only way i can start half of the programs is by using Terminal with sudo.

Posted here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12897&p=80807&hilit=Starting+Administrative#p80807

Now it takes about 1-2 min to load the Gnome pannels with the Elyssa Menu, where it always took about 20 seconds. Everything seems really slowed down and im not sure why or what to do.

Then I also cant use the Mint Update because of that administrative prosess that wont start... I can do the apt-get distupgrade, but I heard its heighly not recommended... Whats the command to start the Mint Update thru terminal? And how do I get everything fixed?

Thanks allot.

Dark_Fire
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4, 2.8GHz Dule Core
RAM: 2x 256MB + 2x 512MB (1.5GB)
HDD: 80GB, 400GB SATA (480BG)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200
Dark_Fire
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint kinda broken...

Postby Husse on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 am

So you can use sudo - like in sudo apt-get?
Try
Code: Select all
gksu gedit

this opens gedit with the same "tool" as is used by among others mintUpdate
If you get the "starting administrative process" and nothing more we know there's an error in gksu
I can't really say why it's become slow to load the panel - I suppose this is at boot?
Also tell us about your hardware - specifically the graphics card
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Zwopper on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:08 am

Make a new user and see if it's as slow on that account as well, that way you can rule out that it's not something in your settings.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Ketil on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:10 am

Hi.

I had a similar problem.
I found out that the reason was that /etc/sudoers had the wrong mode

try this in terminal