iPod

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

iPod

Postby AJP2 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi I am new to Linux and Mint, I was wondering if anyone new anyway I could get music onto my iPod using Linux Mint, I have completely uninstalled Windows XP because it kept crapping out on me but I have no way to sync my iPod and put new music on there, also is there any kind of music converter out there for Linux in which I can convert files from .flac or whatever other kind format into iPod .aac format? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
AJP2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: iPod

Postby rivenought on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:17 pm

You may wish to view threads such as viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6972&p=44072&hilit=aac+ipod#p44072 to give you some pointers. If you search this forum using some key words such as "ipod" or "acc," you might come up with some more threads. Also, do not forget that there is some good info over in the Ubuntu forum. With the popularity of the iPod, I am sure others have already figured out what you need to do. Have fun, and good luck!
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby msuggs on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 pm

gtkpod is a great tool for managing music and playlists on your ipod. As for aac files you'll find that the encrypted ones won't play in Linux but you'll be able to move them around and manage them with gtkpod.

iPod's also play mp3's so it isn't always necessary to convert to aac.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby CavalierBob on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Agree with omns completely on gtkpod. Works great with my 3rd Gen nano. gtkpod will even sync over photos to my nano, which neither Banshee or Rhythmbox will do (as far as I can tell).

SoundConverter (in the repos) will convert many audio file formats, including FLAC to MP3. That's what I do for my iPod.

I am sure there are other conversion tools, but SoundConverter has a easy interface and just works.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Steve Payne on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 am

Does gtkpod play well on Mint KDE 5? I know it's supposed to be for gnome environments, but I wondered if anyone had used it in KDE and what the results were.

Thanks in advance!
Steve Payne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby CavalierBob on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:04 am

Steve,

I would think gtkpod would work just fine. It looks like it would require the download of quite a few libraries that most likely are not on your KDE install. Not a show stopper, just depends on your thinking on installing libs for just one app. On the other side, I installed K3B on my Mint 5 Gnome install and I'm OK with that.

Another thought is Amarok...I think it pretty much does the same as gtkpod, though I am not sure if it can sync photos over to an iPod. And Amarok is a really good music player to boot! :)

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Steve Payne on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:14 am

CavalierBob,

Thanks for the advice. I did a fresh install of KDE 5 last night and didn't really have time to mess around with Adept. I've been using regular Mint for a while and it's my first foray into the Mint KDE world. Does Adept have a history of being kinda flaky compared to Synaptic? Reason I'm asking is that I did a fresh burn & install of KDE because Adept kept crashing. Never, ever had that problem with regular Mint (Daryna forward) using Synaptic.

Just because I'm in that kind of mood, I may do an install of XFCE and see how that goes. Funny thing is, I've done such before and ended up back in GNOME -- I guess I never learn!

Thanks again & think kindly on the U.S. -- we need all the good karma we can get right now!

Steve :mrgreen:
Steve Payne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:34 am

Steve Payne wrote: Does Adept have a history of being kinda flaky compared to Synaptic?

The last time I used it it was very flakey compared to synaptic, but that was some time ago.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions