How do I switch between Window Managers?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

Re: How do I switch between Window Managers?

Post by msuggs »

jacatone wrote: BTW, what is the default WM for my distro? Thanks.
You are using gnome. You should be able to log into other environments like xfce and fluxbux by clicking on the sessions button at the login screen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

jacatone wrote:I've seen in other distros, a manager display in the menu when the computer has fully booted to the desktop. How would I set that up as well? If I decide to just use say Fluxbox, would I have to remove the other WMs to make it the default one?
If your on the desktop the WM will already have been chosen! Yes you can make any Desktop/WM the default, without removing the others.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

After you choose a different type of WM for the session at login you'll be asked if you want to make it the default or not.
alfick3

Post by alfick3 »

omns wrote:After you choose a different type of WM for the session at login you'll be asked if you want to make it the default or not.
I DID have that option before, but have since selected the option to make it a permanent change instead of asking me every time. Now I'd like it back; ie I currently have Gnome, KDE 3.5.9 and KDE 4 on my computer so I can try them out and see which one I like best. I have the display manager set to KDM, but would like to have it set to KDM 4. How do I do that?

Al
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Uninstall kdm and then install kdm-kde4
alfick3

Post by alfick3 »

Thank you, I didn't think about that, and I will try it.

Al
alfick3

Post by alfick3 »

Thank you very much for that info. It worked. 'Course the first time I tried it, and the screen came up to stop the KDM daemon, I selected yes and the screen went all black. Fortunately I restarted the computer and KDM was still there. The second time I tried it, I didn't select that option, and I was then allowed to go in and make KDM4 the default and then do a reboot. I forgot that it'd still be in memory.

Return to “Beginner Questions”