LTS versions of Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LTS versions of Mint

Postby mintfan7200 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:23 am

I use Mint XFCE , and I am wondering will the next LTS verison of Mint XFCE be supported the same as Ubuntu LTS ? Or do you have to keep upgrading every release ? I would like to run only the LTS version and keep it on my system until the support ends or the following LTS version is released . Can you upgrade Mint XFCE LTS to the following LTS ? Or do you have to do a new install . Thanks .
mintfan7200
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LTS versions of Mint

Postby killer de bug on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:43 am

Linux Mint 17 will be supported until 2019.

At that time, you will probably have to reinstall. Upgrade will be possible but quite risky. :wink:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby mintfan7200 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:00 am

killer de bug wrote:Linux Mint 17 will be supported until 2019.

At that time, you will probably have to reinstall. Upgrade will be possible but quite risky. :wink:

Will the XFCE version be supported until 2019 too ? or does that only apply to only the main Mint versions ?
mintfan7200
Level 1
Level 1

Postby austin.texas on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:30 am

Here is a chart of the release schedule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_mint

And here is a great tutorial on upgrading Mint, written by the Linux Mint Project Leader, Clem
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

The release of a new version of XFCE closely follows the release of a new version of Cinnamon, give or take a week or two - including LTS.
Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby killer de bug on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:29 am

mintfan7200 wrote:Will the XFCE version be supported until 2019 too ? or does that only apply to only the main Mint versions ?

Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, XFCE versions will be supported until 2019 ;)
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby mandrake88 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:44 am

use LMDE and u will never have to reinstall.
mandrake88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 am

LMDE and Linux Mint main LTS are totally different and their purpose is not the same.
If you want a perfectly working system, without any risk of breakage, then LTS is perfect.

LMDE is not for everyone. :wink:
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby gtsfer on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:04 pm

I searched and don't know where else to ask this. I'm running LMDE. Everything is up to date. LMDE 201402 is going to release soon.

When it releases:
1) Can I just continue to use Update Manager to get ALL the new updates in LMDE 201402?
2) Should I use "Update Pack Info" as well?
3) What exactly is "Pack Info"? Kernel modules?
4) Or... should I just download and reinstall when LMDE 201402 is out? Doesn't seem I should have to.

Despite extensive searches on Google for "Linux Pack Info" I haven't figured it all out yet.
There is a time for laughing and a time for not laughing. And this is not one of them! ...Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau
LMDE 64-bit MATE Edition
Please edit your first post Edit and add [SOLVED] to the Subject if you get it resolved.
gtsfer
Level 5
Level 5

Postby TheDynamicHamza21 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 pm

gtsfer wrote:I searched and don't know where else to ask this. I'm running LMDE. Everything is up to date. LMDE 201402 is going to release soon.

When it releases:
1) Can I just continue to use Update Manager to get ALL the new updates in LMDE 201402?
2) Should I use "Update Pack Info" as well?
3) What exactly is "Pack Info"? Kernel modules?
4) Or... should I just download and reinstall when LMDE 201402 is out? Doesn't seem I should have to.

Despite extensive searches on Google for "Linux Pack Info" I haven't figured it all out yet.

1.Yes
2.Yes
3.Here:

LMDE receives "Update Packs" which are tested snapshots of Debian Testing. Users can experience a more stable system thanks to update packs

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

4.No
Linux Registered User: # 573034

www.domeshotsandfatlaces.com
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Postby TheDynamicHamza21 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:50 pm

gtsfer,

You sent me a message but I can't send a reply back so here's my answer to your questions.

I'm no expert on Linux nor rolling distros but from what I aware of, most Linux distros that use Debian as a base use sources.list but ever since Mint 15, Mint uses sources.list.d/official-packages-repositories.list.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=149047&p=780378&sid=9007a013fd85fe686d4a05c1b78210d5#p780378

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=153747#p799102

So, no I would not recommended deleting anything. If it's not broke don't try to fix it. However, removing it should affect your system since your system reads official-packages-repositories.list as your sources not sources.list.

As for the bak file,I can't answer your question about that. I run Mint 13 and I don't have a bak file within my system. From what I understand about rolling distros, I would surmise that one would be automatically generated since the system changes so frequently compared to non-rolling distros.But, I could be wrong. You can ask about that within the Mint Debian section of the forum.

viewforum.php?f=141
Linux Registered User: # 573034

www.domeshotsandfatlaces.com
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gtsfer on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:27 am

TheDynamicHamza21,

Thanks for the reply. Since nothing appears to be amiss I'm taking your advice and deleting or changing NOTHING. However it's worth noting that when running the GUI for "Software Sources" it appears that /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-packages-repositories.list is not the one used. It's using /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm basing this on the fact that the last entry in this file appears nowhere in "Software Sources". It's doesn't show in "Official repositories" nor in "Additional repositories". I'm referring to the line with the "extra.linuxmint.com" in it It's the only difference between the two files.

Contents of... official-packages-repositories.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb http://extra.linuxmint.com debian main

Just a matter of curiosity and I'm still learning things. Thank You! I appreciate your answers as well as the links to those two topics.
There is a time for laughing and a time for not laughing. And this is not one of them! ...Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau
LMDE 64-bit MATE Edition
Please edit your first post Edit and add [SOLVED] to the Subject if you get it resolved.
gtsfer
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jahid on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:34 pm

mintfan7200 wrote:Can you upgrade Mint XFCE LTS to the following LTS ? Or do you have to do a new install

yes, it's risky but possible to upgrade to the latest version without new install. if you are interested how, then go here.
but i don't recommend/suggest this, rather i recommend a full new/fresh install which is the best option for this case.

if you want to check if that kind of upgrade works for you or not (experimenting) then that's a different case.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop
jahid
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions