Help - I did something stupid

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Help - I did something stupid

Postby squirrel on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:14 am

After installing Elyssa Mint I was fiddling trying to get sound fixed, which I did, but in the process I crashed the system, it froze, and had to do a hard power off. I must have changed something so that now when I click 'Elyssa' button on bottom left instead of all those nice 'sub' menus like 'Main Menu' where I can do things like Admin and Preferences, all I get is a single menu, two columns, headed Places which lists Computer, Home Folder, Network, Desktop, Trash, then System (in bold) and sub headings Software Portal, Package Manager,Control Center, Terminal, Quit and Recent Documents on the other side. These buttons all work and allow me to configure items that were previously on the Main Menu, but nowhere can I figure out how to open or restore that 'Main Menu'. Is there a simple fix for my transgression or must I reinstall and weep no more? :oops:
squirrel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help - I did something stupid

Postby andhraandroid on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:57 am

The mintmenu has the ability to reduce parts of the menu (like the applications part and the System part) to tabs on the left most side of the menu. If you see small icon like buttons try clicking them it should restore the menu to its original form.
andhraandroid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby squirrel on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:11 am

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Problem solved. How could I have been so obtuse? Now Ionto the next challenge
squirrel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 am

Squirrel, welcome to Mint! I can see you are already diving in and enjoying all of the fun. I look forward to your future posts in the forum as you get accustomed to your new system. At one time, we all pretty much started in the same place you are right now. You will be very happy with Mint.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bobpur on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:41 am

You can, also, click on an empty area of the panel and click on "Add applet to panel" to re-install the deleted menu or to add further enhancements to the panel. Although, I never figured out what to do to replace a deleted panel. Been there, done that. :) :) I mean, short of re-installing the whole shebang.

Good Luck.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions