[SOLVED] black screen after "try linux mint"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] black screen after "try linux mint"

Postby marginwalker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 am

Hi, I have an Asus Zenbook UX301LA-de002p with an Intel 5100 HD Iris (I guess the graphic card has something to do with the problem) and I'm trying to install linux mint on it, booting it from a usb stick, but after I click on "try linux mint" or any other option I just get a black screen
looking for a solution I find some advices like writing i915.modeset=0 drive=intel/i915.modeset=1/nomodeset/ nomodeset acpi=off after "quiet splash" etc., but they didn't work. The problem is that I'm really a noob so I don't really know what the hell I'm doing...
could someone help me?
Last edited by marginwalker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marginwalker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Lingula on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 am

What about setting backlight to vendor? Or booting in VESA to ensure that the problem is graphics and not something else?

I'm a bit jealous of your new CPU.... Have you checked the changelogs at kernel.org for anything on the new CPU?
Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Re: black screen after "try linux mint"

Postby SpookyWatcher on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

marginwalker wrote:Hi, I have an Asus Zenbook UX301LA-de002p with an Intel 5100 HD Iris (I guess the graphic card has something to do with the problem) and I'm trying to install linux mint on it, booting it from a usb stick, but after I click on "try linux mint" or any other option I just get a black screen
looking for a solution I find some advices like writing i915.modeset=0 drive=intel/i915.modeset=1/nomodeset/ nomodeset acpi=off after "quiet splash" etc., but they didn't work. The problem is that I'm really a noob so I don't really know what the hell I'm doing...
could someone help me?

I tried all of those too but in the end...what worked was on my Laptop I hit the blue "Fn" key plus my "right arrow" to increase my screen brightness. This was a pain. Then I installed Mint 15 KDE and I didn't have to do that anymore. It worked properly straight away.
SpookyWatcher
Level 2
Level 2

Re: black screen after "try linux mint"

Postby marginwalker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:58 pm

thanks guys for the suggestions, in the end I just tried to install mate instead of cinnamon and the problem was solved...
marginwalker
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions