Can't run exe. or autorun on Linux 13 w Wine...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can't run exe. or autorun on Linux 13 w Wine...

Postby DazednConfused3826 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Hey all, Newbie here,
Have installed Linux Mint 13 Mate (64bit), no other OS.

System:
Computer
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Memory : 3275MB (434MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 13 Maya
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.2.0-23-generic (x86_64)
Compiled : #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012
C Library : Unknown
Default C Compiler : GNU C Compiler version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
Distribution : Linux Mint 13 Maya
-Current Session-
Computer Name : Master01
Desktop Environment : MATE
-Mounted File Systems-
/dev/sda1 / 7.04 % (862.1 GiB of 927.4 GiB)
udev /dev 0.00 % (1.6 GiB of 1.6 GiB)
tmpfs /run 0.14 % (638.8 MiB of 639.7 MiB)
none /run/lock 0.00 % (5.0 MiB of 5.0 MiB)
none /run/shm 0.00 % (1.6 GiB of 1.6 GiB)

The Problem:

I have Software CD's for various MUST have programs that run on Windows and I have installed Wine and Winetricks. I've update all and added " exe. " and even added " setup.exe " to the Libraries of Wine configuration.

When I insert the Software CD into the drive it shows up on the Desktop. It does not automatically start...wish... If I try to " open with autostart " a window pops up stating, "This medium contains software intended to be automatically started. Would you like to run it?" I click "Run", then another pop up, " Error autorunning software" "Cannot find the autorun program"

So I then right click on the desktop icon to show the CD's files, find the " setup.exe " to which I "open with Wine Windows Program Loader" First mini window pops up with “ Setup.ini ”, then “ Windows Installer “ mini window, and then it stops at third mini window, " Windows Installer" " The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in Safe Mode (NO, Only Linux on this entire computer) or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed...."

So, I've uninstalled Wine and Winetricks, restarted, then re-installed Wine first, update using Update Manager, restart. Then I reinstall Winetricks, update using Update Manager, restart. No changes.

Any attempts at updating the system using Update Manager keeps giving the following message after completion...

“ W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/dists/precise/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'packages.medibuntu.org'
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead. “

I need to run these software CD's to install this software on this computer. They are for printer, camera and movie software. I need to have this serious movie creating and editing software. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. DnC...
DazednConfused3826
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't run exe. or autorun on Linux 13 w Wine...

Postby jungle_boy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:20 am

DazednConfused3826 wrote:Hey all, Newbie here,
Have installed Linux Mint 13 Mate (64bit), no other OS.

For a newbie, the correct option would be a dual boot (windows and Linuxmint). Almost nothing, or close to it, works fine in wine.
LM17 Cinnamon (PC and Notebook) with AMD Catalyst
HP Pavilion g4-1316br, AMD Quad Core, 1,5 GHz, Radeon 6520G/7450M,
Linuxcounter Registered User #506065 (2008)
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DazednConfused3826 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:02 am

I will try any other options rather than go back...to Windows.
I have a motto...I don't go back...not to X's :lol: ...not to Windows... :D
I will be patient and see if there are other options...
I have all the time in the world...
Thanks...
DazednConfused3826
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jungle_boy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:12 am

You are welcome to world of freedom, you are welcome to Linux! :D
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Mark Phelps on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

I have a motto...I don't go back

Noble idea ... but entirely impractical -- if you need to use Windows apps on a regular basis.

If the stuff doesn't work in Wine, there is NO other alternative than running it in Windows.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Flemur on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:31 am

Almost nothing, or close to it, works fine in wine.
Photoshop, audition, irfanview, photomatrix, foobar2000, avidemux(windows version), ConvertXtoDVD and AnyDVD work well here (M13 and M16). Some have minor glitches that don't really hurt their use (e.g. audition will hang if you try to overwrite an existing file, no problems otherwise...so don't try to overwrite an existing file!)

It does not automatically start

That's good because autostart on CDs is evil.

Look at http://appdb.winehq.org/ to see how well your (un-named, for some reason) apps might run and which windows components it needs.

Try this:
Open a terminal and navigate to the setup.exe/msi file on the CD and run wine:
$ wine ./setupprogramname.exe
See what it complains about...you'll get better info than the popup messages.

If still problems, move or delete your ~/.wine directory and make a new one. This makes more difference than reinstalling wine.
If you had additional windows components in the old .wine, you'll have to add them again.
For 32 bit apps (I find they work a lot better):
$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
then try $ wine ./setup.exe .... again.
Mint 17/Xfce/fluxbox & Mint 16/Xfce/fluxbox
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DazednConfused3826 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks, will try above suggestions. As for which exact programs, CD's, well here's a couple, yes, some are dated however, I'm very familiar and comfortable with them. Hey, if there's an equal available via open source which works equally in all aspects, I'll definitely give it a try.
I do like Linux much better. I have always fought with Windows for some reason or another. And the rebel in me hates the "control" Windows has over its users.
Thanks again, DnC...

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Deluxe Suite (this bugger, I love, though it pulls lots of working memory, in Windows. I know it's limits and how to work with it. Again, I'll try an open source equal if it's out there.)

HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless E709 Printer

HP Personal Media Drive Software
(this helps recognize the External Media Drives when they are inserted into the slide in bay. I have several, well many, external hard drives. I keep nothing what so ever on this work computer except during work. Habit from Windows use. Anything that I'm working on, saving, want to keep gets put on separate external hard drives. So if my work horse gets infected, crashes, etc., all I loose is OS and any software installs. Time consuming to redo, but better than loosing every single thing. Hard drives NEED to be recognized upon connection either by media bay slot for those types or by USB link for others. I do tons of home movies for family making "Home made" DVD's. So, I need ALL my external drives to be recognized as well as any new ones.

NOTE: I first tryed Linux Mint 16 Petra, really liked it except for the limited support and that is the only reason I switched to Mint 13, LTS. With Petra, when I attached a brand new drive it showed in the "C" drive with no partitions or anything however it did not automatically open a new window, as with used drives with data in them. Oh, I always do a complete HD scrub with Dban 2.2.8 before installing any new/replacement OS. I know, time consuming, but hey, I've got the time.

Arcsoft ShowBiz

Arcsoft Camera Suite

Canon Digital Video Solutions

Lastly, this OS, Mint 13, does recognize any very used drive with data, automatically opening a window showing all files. However, the brand new drives, with nothing, are not showing up at all except in "C" drive. I'd like to get to use the new drives (media slot) so that when I put files on them and insert into the media drive slot or USB, they automatically pop up a window showing all files. I see no formatting option or partitioning option in Mint 13 as I did in Mint 16.

Again, thanks for all the help...DnC
DazednConfused3826
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jungle_boy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:24 pm

There are hundreds of thousands of programs for Windows, only work well, or more or less, Photoshop (any version), audition, irfanview, photomatrix, foobar2000, avidemux(windows version), ConvertXtoDVD and AnyDVD...
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6

Postby voger on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:50 pm

You could try to install them in a real windows environment and then just copy the installed folder in your "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/" folder. I have a software that it's installer doesn't work under wine but once copied as it is, just works flawlessly. Another option is to install windows in a virtual machine using virtualbox or vmware. This option is a bit resource hungry as you have to allocate enough memory to the virtual machine to run windows and the applications you want. I am doing this too with a window application that doesn't run under wine. I installed an old copy of XP in a virtualbox machine to which I have allocated 20GB of disk space and 800 MB of RAM. It is dedicated to run only that software and only when I need it. Any file I want to move between windows is shared with shared folders.

I believe there is another third option but it does require a lot of trial and error and I don't know if it still works. I think I remember back in the old days you could copy .dlls from the windows folder somewhere in your ~/.wine folder and the application you wanted would work. I am not sure about this third option so maybe it is total BS and even if it works I haven't seen anyone recomend it.
voger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby voger on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:23 pm

DazednConfused3826 wrote:Thanks, will try above suggestions. As for which exact programs, CD's, well here's a couple, yes, some are dated however, I'm very familiar and comfortable with them. Hey, if there's an equal available via open source which works equally in all aspects, I'll definitely give it a try.
I do like Linux much better. I have always fought with Windows for some reason or another. And the rebel in me hates the "control" Windows has over its users.
Thanks again, DnC...

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Deluxe Suite (this bugger, I love, though it pulls lots of working memory, in Windows. I know it's limits and how to work with it. Again, I'll try an open source equal if it's out there.)

k3b is very nice burning tool. I don't know what Roxio offers more so maybe it is not a exact replacement.

DazednConfused3826 wrote:HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless E709 Printer

I suppose we are talking about drivers here. According to HP it is supported under Linux http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... e709n.html

DazednConfused3826 wrote:HP Personal Media Drive Software
(this helps recognize the External Media Drives when they are inserted into the slide in bay. I have several, well many, external hard drives. I keep nothing what so ever on this work computer except during work. Habit from Windows use. Anything that I'm working on, saving, want to keep gets put on separate external hard drives. So if my work horse gets infected, crashes, etc., all I loose is OS and any software installs. Time consuming to redo, but better than loosing every single thing. Hard drives NEED to be recognized upon connection either by media bay slot for those types or by USB link for others. I do tons of home movies for family making "Home made" DVD's. So, I need ALL my external drives to be recognized as well as any new ones.

What does this offer more than the operating systems recognition? I guess both windows and linux can recognise the new volumes without problem. Then using your favourite file manager you can browse and do whatever you want with those files. I don't have bay or slide so I don't know.

DazednConfused3826 wrote:NOTE: I first tryed Linux Mint 16 Petra, really liked it except for the limited support and that is the only reason I switched to Mint 13, LTS. With Petra, when I attached a brand new drive it showed in the "C" drive with no partitions or anything however it did not automatically open a new window, as with used drives with data in them. Oh, I always do a complete HD scrub with Dban 2.2.8 before installing any new/replacement OS. I know, time consuming, but hey, I've got the time.

You could install gparted to partition and format the new drives.

DazednConfused3826 wrote:Lastly, this OS, Mint 13, does recognize any very used drive with data, automatically opening a window showing all files. However, the brand new drives, with nothing, are not showing up at all except in "C" drive. I'd like to get to use the new drives (media slot) so that when I put files on them and insert into the media drive slot or USB, they automatically pop up a window showing all files. I see no formatting option or partitioning option in Mint 13 as I did in Mint 16.

Again, thanks for all the help...DnC

use gparted
voger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DazednConfused3826 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Will try everything and see how it goes. Thanks to all those involved in all Linux projects...DnC
DazednConfused3826
Level 1
Level 1

Postby baldrick.777 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm a bit surprised, that it hasn't been suggested to the OP that wine should only ever be used as a last resort!

The first port of call, would be the software centre, and as tedious as it can be, go though and find suitable native alternatives.
The next stop would be a web search using "software .deb ppa", or such. Only as a final option, if nothing else native seems suitable, then consult wine.

From the list provided by the OP, there are several possible native alternative/equivalents..

Photography: Pixeluvo (www.pixeluvo.com), which is in Ubuntu's software centre, but oddly enough not Mint's. Or GIMP, among others.

Media Creator: K3B, Brasero...

Printer drivers: If not already installed natively, most are available from the vendor's website (.deb packages)

Finally, whilst I admire your spunk in getting involved and using Linux, I would strongly recommend reading this: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm, which should be compulsory reading for any newbie to Linux.

All the best!
Image Happily Windows free since '09! | LM17 Mate - 64-bit, Asus Laptop, 320Gb HHD, 4Gb RAM | Newbies, check this out first...
baldrick.777
Level 3
Level 3

Postby baldrick.777 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been suggested to the OP that wine should only ever be used as a last resort!

The first port of call, would be the software centre, and as tedious as it can be, go though and find suitable native alternatives.
The next stop would be a web search using "software .deb ppa", or such. Only as a final option, if nothing else native seems suitable, then consult wine.

From the list provided by the OP, there are several possible native alternative/equivalents..

Photography: Pixeluvo (http://www.pixeluvo.com), which is in Ubuntu's software centre, but oddly enough not Mint's. Or GIMP, among others.

Media Creator: K3B, Brasero...

Printer drivers: If not already installed natively, most are available from the vendor's website (.deb packages)

Finally, whilst I admire your spunk in getting involved and using Linux, I would strongly recommend reading this: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm, which should be compulsory reading for any newbie to Linux.

All the best!
Image Happily Windows free since '09! | LM17 Mate - 64-bit, Asus Laptop, 320Gb HHD, 4Gb RAM | Newbies, check this out first...
baldrick.777
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DazednConfused3826 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks "Voger", your suggestion for HP Driver support at http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... e709n.html worked perfect without a single glitch. Printing right now and Ohhh sooo much faster than with Windows...me so happy :P Thanks, DnC
DazednConfused3826
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DazednConfused3826 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks Baldrick.777, I will read that link. The only reason I use Windows comparison is cause that's my past frame of reference. I know and like very much that Linux is NOT Windows. I've played with it many times past, never really having time to fully commit as now. I am very pleased and unlike that Country song lyric, "...if it don't come easy let it go..." I enjoy learning and a good challenge. Makes it all worth it. I also have a ten year old who says he wants to be a programmer. He's in a LEGO Robotics team, learning the basics of programming simple robots to perform simple tasks...it's a beginning, he loves it. I'm thinking of changing his laptop to Linux and let him play. I tell him, he can be and do anything he sets his mind to. I hope I can point him in the right directions. At that age their minds are like sponges. Thanks, DnC
DazednConfused3826
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions