Many Problems after system Update in Mint 13

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Many Problems after system Update in Mint 13

Postby irfanhrt on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:39 am

Hi, I was using Mint 13 without any problem. But Yeasterday I made a System Update and after that all my system settings are Changed.
1) Now I am not able to use Touchpad Click eventhough that function is enabled in touchpad settings.
2) I am not able to see Some Installed softwears Like Gscan2pdf, Imagemagic etc.,.
3) Some data in My One Drive (New Volume E) which I have added in a date is Lost.
4) I can't find the earlier option to customise my Cinnamon in Main Menu.
5) The Icons of Programms such as softwear manger and others Changed.
6) Date and Time formate and even the Window of the Date and time settings has Changed in to a new One.
Any One can hep me to find out what is the reason for it? I want to go back to my earlier settings since I was in Love with it.
I have Noticed one change in my home folder. Now there are some new folders like ".adobe", ".cache", ".cinnamon",etc., and files like ".profile",".bash_logout",".xsession-errors", ".gscan2pdf" etc.
irfanhrt
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Many Problems after system Update in Mint 13

Postby norm.h on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 am

Have look AT THIS THREAD for a possible explanation.
Have you got "backports" enabled in synaptic?
I made that mistake and ended up doing a clean re-install to get Mate 1.4 back.
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mark Phelps on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:15 am

Some of these indicate possibly failing hard drive. The item about "E" indicates you're using Windows on the PC as well --since Linux filesystems have no concept of "drive letters" that are used in Windows. You need to confirm this.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Postby norm.h on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:53 am

I'm not sure now, that the thread in my link is relevant as it refers to an update of Mate, whereas you refer to using Cinnamon, and nobody seems to have made the same complaints about Cinnamon.
I don't know if the backports included an update to Cinnamon, perhaps someone can confirm one way or t'other.
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby austin.texas on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:43 pm

I have Noticed one change in my home folder. Now there are some new folders like ".adobe", ".cache", ".cinnamon",etc., and files like ".profile",".bash_logout",".xsession-errors", ".gscan2pdf" etc.
These are hidden folders which are only visible in your file manager when you enable "View Hidden Files"

It may not be what you want to hear, but if I were faced with the situation you described, I would not hesitate to install Mint 16 and forget about Mint 13.
My own experience was that I installed Mint 16 on a trial basis, and found that I liked it so much that I could not go back to Mint 13. That was even though I had Mint 13 configured just the way I wanted it - like you did.
Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby irfanhrt on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:45 am

Have you got "backports" enabled in synaptic?
I made that mistake and ended up doing a clean re-install to get Mate 1.4 back.

Yes. I had enabled backported packages in the Softwear source. But i did a system update by using Update manager and hence i dont know whether it is synaptic or not......
I am Using Cinnamon and can you state why this trouble happened?
irfanhrt
Level 2
Level 2

Postby irfanhrt on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 am

I would not hesitate to install Mint 16 and forget about Mint 13.
My own experience was that I installed Mint 16 on a trial basis, and found that I liked it so much that I could not go back to Mint 13. That was even though I had Mint 13 configured just the way I wanted it - like you did.

Friend Actually I am looking for an LTS distro and that why i choose this... But I feel It is not stable and disappointed me alot. I am not that much dare to Install Mint 16 because it is not a stable version.
irfanhrt
Level 2
Level 2

Postby irfanhrt on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 am

ome of these indicate possibly failing hard drive. The item about "E" indicates you're using Windows on the PC as well --since Linux filesystems have no concept of "drive letters" that are used in Windows. You need to confirm this.

Yes I am using Mint with Windows 8.1 dual boot with D & E partitions as common.
irfanhrt
Level 2
Level 2

Postby norm.h on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 am

irfanhrt wrote:......I did a system update by using Update manager and hence i dont know whether it is synaptic or not......
I am Using Cinnamon and can you state why this trouble happened?

I think that if you have backports enabled then Update Manager will install them, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
If you read the link I gave in my first reply (although it's quite lengthy) it gives a far better explanation than I ever could.
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby irfanhrt on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks Anyway... I did a fresh re install of Mint. can you help me to give Suggession On what should I care when having a system Update.
irfanhrt
Level 2
Level 2

Postby norm.h on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I have my Software Sources configured to allow Main, Upstream and Imported Packages from Linux Mint software. (Backported, Unstable and source code are disabled.)
In OtherSoftware it's configured as the screenshot, but yours may be different.
Then I just accept updates when ever Update Manager tells me updates are available.
You should also read THIS THREAD (this post: by karlchen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 am )

Screenshot.png
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions