Changing Documnets Music folders to external drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Changing Documnets Music folders to external drive

Postby Red Barked Tree on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:54 am

Hi All,
Is there a way of pointing the standard os folders of documents, music etc to same named folders on an external HDD?
Or could this be achieved another way?
Regards
Jim
Red Barked Tree
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changing Documnets Music folders to external drive

Postby austin.texas on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:17 pm

You forgot to mention what operating system you have, but in Mint 16 Cinnamon I just create bookmarks in Nemo, which give me access to my /data folders. (click Bookmark > Add Bookmark for each folder.)
Then this is what it looks like in Nemo after I rename those bookmarks.
In the graphic, Music is on sdb1, and Music sda2 is not, but they are all right there in Nemo for me to access.
You have the option of deleting the empty Music folder, or other empty folders created by the installation, if you want it to look neater. Personally, I use them for temporary storage occasionally.
Once you do that, you don't even have to create those bookmarks again in a new Mint installation. All you have to do is copy the text file /home/yourusername/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks from your old Mint to your new installation - (as long as your mount point is identical to the old Mint - and assuming that the new Mint uses Nemo).

You can accomplish the same thing the old school way, which is to create symlinks.
I can describe that - but it would be easier if you run the command -
mount
and post the result
Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Red Barked Tree on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25 pm

I am running Elementary OS and I found that with this desktop I could just drag the USB mounted folders to the left hand side window and it seemed to create the " short cut" to the folder on the USB drive.
I got a great deal of assistance here on trying to get my usb mounted at start up by default along with access to it for me ( as user) and another user which is a music server.
I had assumed it may be involved but was straightforward.
Thanks
Red Barked Tree
Level 1
Level 1

Postby austin.texas on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Please go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Newbie Questions