Move Linux Mint from one PC to another?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Move Linux Mint from one PC to another?

Postby derlinzer on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:35 pm

While my main PC is being repaired, i borrowed my brother's one and use Linux Mint as my main OS. I've installed and tweaked everything to my likes and don't want to go through all of this, when i get my main PC back from service.

So, is there an easy way to 'move' Linux Mint from one machine to another? With 'move' i mean copying from A to B, because the i've got to get everything from an old an slow IDE drive to a large and fast SATA drive.
See, i told you they'd listen to Reason* - Fisheye
*Gatling-type 3-mm hypervelocity railgun system
derlinzer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Move Linux Mint from one PC to another?

Postby kansasnoob on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Well, there are two possible solutions. One is AptonCD which is installed in Mint by default. You'll find it in Control Center > System. Pretty darn good documentation here:

http://www.debianadmin.com/create-backu ... buntu.html

The other is Remastersys:

http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Remastersys
http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/

Just a word of caution though! Unless the hardware is identical you can have serious problems so read all the documentation! I cooked an LCD monitor once because I had the previous system settings wrong for the new monitor!
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Shakkra on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:25 pm

kansasnoob wrote:Just a word of caution though! Unless the hardware is identical you can have serious problems so read all the documentation! I cooked an LCD monitor once because I had the previous system settings wrong for the new monitor!

he has the point, it might not even boot if that happens.
Hi, I come from a hacking forums called gamecheetah (gamecheetah.com).
Shakkra
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MagnusB on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:25 am

The main issue is hardware compatibility, like you try to boot a nVidia xorg.conf into an ATi machine.. I would just wait until your computer gets back and configure it again, it shouldn't take long to get it up and running again. You can always move your themes over (/home/user/.themes/) and bookmarks (/home/user/.mozilla/) etc etc.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions