24hrs of mint so far

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

24hrs of mint so far

Postby BinfordsTool on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:58 pm

So 24 hrs ago I installed mint. It was my first venture into linux, and I love it! I'm running a HP DV2500t notebook, 1.83 ghz, nvidia 8400M card with 256 of mem, 4 gigs ram, 250gb hardrive, webcam, bluetooth, mic, and a whole bunch of other lil good things too. Mint recognized everything right away... amazing!

I did fall into a problem with the envy drivers crashing me back and making be go into low graphics mode, realized that it was because I had both proprietary drivers and envy installed, so I got rid of the prop drivers and am just using envy- no problems now.

I have this thing pimped out (for 24 hours and being a linux noob, I consider it pimped) with compiz fully enabled and some screenlets installed. Got everything pretty well set up, except I have 2 problems that are bugging me.

1. Virtualbox- I still get this error when starting up a new system, no bootable medium found (and now I'm getting a strange USB error to). Haven't found a reliable fix yet, kinda would love some help though (booting from ISO image, its there and works on other pc with virtualbox

2. Bluetooth- confused... can't connect to my device (bond) it either freezes up or gives me an obex error when trying to sync up my phone.

Everything else is great- anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks, and thanks to the community so far for making mint great!
BinfordsTool
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 24hrs of mint so far

Postby CaptainTux on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Welcome to the land of Linux. I've been a linux user since 2002 and ALL Linux since 2004. I am new to Mint myself, but this is really a good spot to dip your toe in the water for the first time.

I hope your issues get some resolution, but yer off to a good start!

Cheers
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
-Nelson Mandela
CaptainTux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 24hrs of mint so far

Postby CDavisUnlimited on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:16 pm

It depends on what you are trying to use your bluetooth for, but if you want to connect an external bluetooth device like a mouse you should go here. Blueman is by far the best application for pairing a bluetooth mouse that I have found. I'm not sure how it works for transferring files because I haven't tested that yet. Give it a shot and let me know if you need any help. And Welcome to LinuxMint.

-C
CDavisUnlimited
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions