Update Manager, safe to install updates?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Update Manager, safe to install updates?

Postby KING on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 am

I probably have a pretty simple question, but I just want to be sure it's safe to install the updates presented to me.

Just installed a fresh Elyssa edition, updated around 100 updates. After I rebooted the system another 107 updates were available, 6 of them are level 2 and the rest level 3. When I want to install these updates the Update Manager says some updates aren't authenticated and it might not be safe to install them.

So is it safe to install them or not? I assume these updates come from a Mint repository, which in my eyes whould make it safe.
KING

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Update Manager, safe to install updates?

Postby exploder on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:57 am

You should be ok updating. You are correct about the Mint updates, they are unsigned.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kansasnoob on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Level 1 and level 2 updates should always be safe. I have encountered problems with a couple of level 3 updates, most recently xulrunner updates.

I did however find that the same updates worked fine if, when prompted by a pop-up window, to keep settings previously selected by myself or an installation "wizard". Note: this is not the exact wording used in the update "pop-up", but you'll see what I mean when it pops up.

I'm currently very selective about level 3 updates! Basically if I don't think I need it to "fix" a problem I just "untick" it.
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fornhamfred on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 pm

The other option is to change the preferences in mintupdate to only show the level 1 & 2 updates.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kansasnoob on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Fornhamfred wrote:The other option is to change the preferences in mintupdate to only show the level 1 & 2 updates.

Why didn't I say that? :D

I guess I like to beat around the bush!

At the risk of being bold, why doesn't Mint's updater just default to level 1 & 2 instead of including level 3? It's soooooooooo stable that way!
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions