Networking 101

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Networking 101

Postby locutus on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm trying to network my wireless laptop (M5-Gnome) with my wired desktop (currently M5-KDE, but there are three other Mint's I could use, if KDE/Gnome conflict somehow). They *were* working fine for a while, then I tried to add shared directories and now nothing I do will make them work again. Samba is installed (as well as smb4k,xsmbrowser, gsambad, & assorted other tools I thought might help) and kdenetwork on the desktop. I couldn't find anything in the wiki; are there easy, step-by-step instructions anywhere?
Thanks.
Last edited by locutus on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Networking 101

Postby Husse on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:28 am

Try this first
Search in the forum, Advanced search, for samba and the author AvanceIT
He has given some really nice solutions to this kind of problem and I think the solution is there already
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Networking 101

Postby locutus on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:00 pm

OK, I understand the differences between samba & smb4k, both are installed and working on my desktop (KDE). On my laptop (Gnome) every time I start smb4k an error message appears, saying "ERROR: Communication problem with smb4k, it probably crashed". I've tried reinstalling, same result.

Also, on my desktop when starting smb4k it scans and finds nothing. If I open Settings -> Configure smb4k -> Custom, under Item it lists "//DOUG-MINT5-KDE-B/DOUG_VIDEOS" I've tried to shorten it in other places to "doug-desktop". In smb4k -> Samba -> General settings it shows that correctly. Is that a conflict? I don't see a way to edit or add a new Item in Custom, just to Remove.

If smb4k is crashing, should I re-install all of M5?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions