What is a Subnet Mask?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EchoLynx

What is a Subnet Mask?

Post by EchoLynx »

I have recently acquired a FreeNAS box for my backups but am puzzled by the fields asking for a subnet mask- I know it's 255.255.255.0/24 - but what does that mean and what does it have to do with me accessing my data?

-Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: What is a Subnet Mask?

Post by msuggs »

The subnet mask helps to identify which parts of an IP address belong to the network ID and which part is the host ID. For example, with an address of 200.200.200.5, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the Network ID is 200.200.200, and the Host ID is 5.

Basically without it your IP address means nothing unless the subnet mask is there to help other machines decipher and communicate with it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”