Newbie having trouble with sound and panel applets [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie having trouble with sound and panel applets [SOLVED]

Postby Losgann on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 pm

Hello, I'm a Linux newbie who's been trying out several distros, and I just stumbled across Linux Mint, and was very impressed with how easily it installed, even got my wireless adapter working right away (all other distros I tried, including K/Ubuntu, gave me lots of grief there) and had no problems getting my monitor set at the correct native resolution (again, most distros I tried seemed to take a dislike to my onboard graphics chip).

However, I'm having one odd problem which I haven't encountered before: in Linux Mint, my sound is incredibly low. I turn the volume all the way up using the mixer applet in the panel, and I physically turn the volume knob on my speakers to maximum, and hardly any sound comes out. It's there, but very faint. Would anyone have any ideas about what could be causing that, and how to fix it?

Also, a little thing, but while I was playing with setting up my panel with the stuff I wanted in it, I accidentally removed the applet which shows whether the wireless is connected and when it is, displays the signal strength. When I go to add a new applet to the panel, I can't find anything which restores this app. Can anyone help?

Thank you!
Last edited by Losgann on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Losgann
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie having trouble with sound and panel applets

Postby msuggs on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:10 am

Right click on the sound icon and choose "Open Volume Control' . Make sure all the volume controls are up. Often the Front Mic Boost can be turned right down.

For your other issue right click on the panel and choose 'Add to Panel' and add a 'Notification Area'
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Newbie having trouble with sound and panel applets

Postby Losgann on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:49 am

omns wrote:Right click on the sound icon and choose "Open Volume Control' . Make sure all the volume controls are up. Often the Front Mic Boost can be turned right down.

I checked that, everything is up. Still having that sound problem.

For your other issue right click on the panel and choose 'Add to Panel' and add a 'Notification Area'

Fixed! Thank you.
Losgann
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Newbie having trouble with sound and panel applets [SOLVED]

Postby Losgann on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:20 pm

OK, how's this for bizarre: I installed the XFCE desktop environment because I wanted to try it out & see what it was like, and when I opened an XFCE session, the sound worked just fine! Even stranger, when I then rebooted into Gnome, the sound still works. I'm thoroughly confused, but I got the result I wanted so I guess I shouldn't obsess over it...

UPDATE: I discovered the solution! My "master" slider was up, but the "surround" slider was down. When I put it up, I had sound. :D
Losgann
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions