network with windows machine (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux n00b

network with windows machine (solved)

Post by Linux n00b »

I want to network my laptop (Mint) with my desktop (XP).

I've read smb4k solves many problem, and is very easy to use. So I thought I should be able to set it up in no time. Now I just don't understand what I've been doing wrong.

I have:

1. changed workgroup name to MSHOME on my desktop (since I cannot change it on my laptop, I gave up)
2. checked and use all the recommended settings I could find from the internet.
3. set file share on the desktop

However, if I try to connect within smb4k, I cannot pass the user name/password. It always says "access denied". Seems like it doesn't like the user name or password which are correct (otherwise I wouldn't be able to logon).

Any hints? Now I feel really stupid, it seems everyone is happy with smb4k, but I just cannot make it work. :oops:

Anyway, I can now browsing my desktop from laptop. It was a couple of small setting, one on the windows machine, one in the smb4k.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: network with windows machine (solved)

Post by Husse »

Glad you fixed it (yourself) :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”