Is root Turned On?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Edward78

Re: Is root Turned On?

Post by Edward78 »

This might be strange, but this is what annoys me about some distros. I think that root shouldn't be crippled.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Is root Turned On?

Post by AK Dave »

Edward78: you can have a normal root account if you desire. MintAssistant helps you set this up.

jordan: The difference is that if you login as root, everything you do is as root. If you sudo an app, you're using that one single app with root privs but everything else is done with normal user privs applicable to the account you're logged in as. I'll often have a root command line open, so only commands entered in that window are done with root privs but file management using Nautilus or web browsing with Firefox aren't.

Return to “Beginner Questions”