a few questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

a few questions

Postby a.anderson5 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:29 am

Ok I'm a noob to linux especially linux mint. I just crossed over from using windows and all that goodness. Problem i'm having is well one I can't get my wireless card to appear. I've scoured the wiki and the forums and found guides TONS of guides and it seems to be of no avail i can't get my wireless care to show up. And yes its broadcom. The second problem i'm having is i installed on a compaq presario laptop and every time i log on my computer completely freezes and i can't get it to work again without manual shut down and restart. Why is it freezing? It can't be over heating can it?
a.anderson5
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: a few questions

Postby jordan on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 am

Have you tried ndiswrapper? If not, you will need to find the windows driver for you wireless card. I needed to do this on other Linux distros for my wireless card.

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... diswrapper

I have a friend who has a compaq who couldn't get his onboard wireless card to work. He solved the wireless problem by getting a pcmcia wireless card that works immediately after it's plugged in. He also has a usb card that works also.

The same friend with the compaq had freez ups during install. He just stayed with Ubuntu and gave up on Mint.
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jordan on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:27 am

Oh, I just found this page coincidently looking for something else. http://blog.christinaoutlay.com/
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kirsch92 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 am

It sounds like you installed the broadcom wireless driver in ndiswrapper, yes?
That may be the source of your lockups. There are many posts floating around with this issue, usually with older drivers.
I do not have broadcom, but the ndiswrapper driver included in mintwifi for my atheros card caused lockups.
Thankfully, I had madwifi to turn to.

You best hope may be using some other form of wifi as jordon mentioned, or maybe a different (newer) driver.

Have you run the lspci command in terminal to see if linux is seeing your wireless chip?
Shuttle SK43G XPC
Sapphire ATI x1550 AGP
or my shiny, new, cheap Compaq 762NR laptop
kirsch92
Level 2
Level 2

Postby a.anderson5 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 pm

well if thats the case and I can't get my broadcom drivers to work. I don't feel like going back to ubuntu b/c i rather like mint and put forth a lot of effort to get everything i got on my box to work and run (like pc games and what not) is there some way I can go about to removing whatever botched install files there is and just deal w/ a wired connection?
a.anderson5
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kirsch92 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:41 am

What did you do for installation? I still don't know for sure that you did in fact use ndiswrapper.
Can you open up a terminal and run an lspci command and post the results so we can be sure of the chip?

If you did you ndiswrapper, have you tried out this fix for a Hardy (Elyssa) bug?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... 0Bug%20Fix
Shuttle SK43G XPC
Sapphire ATI x1550 AGP
or my shiny, new, cheap Compaq 762NR laptop
kirsch92
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions