Accessing share on windows computers on a domain

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
specimen

Accessing share on windows computers on a domain

Post by specimen »

Im running mint 16 that is not joined within the domain of clients that have shares i'd like to access. In the filesystem explorer, I can see the domain and all the clients attached to it. When I navigate to the shared folder of a client, it asks me to provide the username, domain, and password. I enter all these correctly, but it kicks the authentiction window back up as though I entered in incorrect info. Confusing, since I have a win2k machine, not joined to the domain; yet I can access the domain shares on it. :x .

Any help would save the day. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
capn233

Re: Accessing share on windows computers on a domain

Post by capn233 »

I don't really remember how sharing worked in Windows 2000, but my first question would be what domain are you providing? You are putting in the windows 2000 local user, domain and password when prompted, right? That is all I have to do, but in my case, I am looking at a share on a Win 7 computer from LM16 Mate 64.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Is the network shared folder shared for everybody? Try making the share available for everyone.
Then on the file manager type on the location bar:

Code: Select all

smb://192.x.x.x/
or

Code: Select all

smb://192.x.x.x/share_folder_name
Be sure to install the samba packages first.
specimen

Post by specimen »

Thanks for the reply. Im at the house now, not at work, and this is my own network. The domain no longer applies but still, something is not set up right, here at home either.

Samba packages are installed:
Screenshot-1.png
This is what I get:
Screenshot.png
Now, when I use Caja to navigate to my share; no problems with access to shares:
Screenshot-2.png
Feelin green! :?
specimen

Post by specimen »

My problem.turned out to.be isolated and unique. When my share login box came up, I need to do the following:

Username = domain\username of the share
Domain = domain in caps
Passwors= share password

I dont know know why I had to put my domain in the username section. Any clues?

Return to “Beginner Questions”