A Few Questions Before Installing.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

A Few Questions Before Installing.

Postby hank863 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Hey, I have been using Fedora for a while and really like it, but have been looking for a change. I'm not the biggest Ubuntu fan, but Mint looks professional, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I do have a few questions. I like to be on the cutting, or even bleeding, edge of Linux technology. I am curious how quickly the repositories are updated and if Mint is kept pretty up to date between main releases. Say Firefox 3.0.0.2 was released tomorrow, how quickly would you guess it's be in the repos? Also, is there a 64 bit version of Mint? If anyone has any information that they think could be helpful in my decision on whether or not to install, please post it. I am very open and would love to hear your opinions. I have tried Arch and Gentoo. I liked the fact they were rolling release, but I don't feel that a Linux distribution should require all the setting up they do. They're not worth it in my mind. So, any tips?
hank863
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: A Few Questions Before Installing.

Postby msuggs on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Mint's focus is on stability rather than bleeding edge. The release cycle follows ubuntu's and comes out a month or two later once all the bugs have been identified and ironed out of the Ubuntu release and the Mint tools have been applied. Things like kernel updates don't happen as quickly (Mint uses a levelled update system which you can read more about in various posts here) although you can install them if you really want to but they may come at the expense of system stability. That said though, important updates for things like Firefox come through pretty quickly as they do in Ubuntu.

There is no 64-bit version as yet but it is in the pipeline.

I also like the rolling release nature of Arch and Gentoo but agree they are to much hard work in the long run. Overall I think you'd find Mint to be a really nice distro. Maybe not quite cutting edge enough for you but then again a system where things work properly and bugs are at a minimum has a certain appeal as well. I think you'd enjoy it :)
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby hank863 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:21 pm

There is definitely something to be said for stability. I know that a lot of distros have problems with their main every-6-month OS updates. Does Mint have this same issue or is it generally a smooth process. I'd rather not have to reinstall the entire OS every 6 months.
hank863
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:45 pm

Although Mint is not a rolling release I was able to update Brasero, Pidgin, Gimp and Transmission to the latest versions through GetDeb. Just thought I would throw that in there since you said you liked bleeding edge software.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby msuggs on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:19 pm

hank863 wrote: I'd rather not have to reinstall the entire OS every 6 months.

A clean install is generally the recommended upgrade path.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions