Installing drivers on PC's without internet connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

Installing drivers on PC's without internet connection

Post by garda »

First of all, I'm sorry for posting a question that has probably been asked numerous times. But the advanced search doesn't help at all when I enter "nvidia" or "nvidia drivers" for keyword.

Anyway, I installed mint on my PC that doesn't have internet connection. Now, I need to install some proprietary drivers (mainly for nVidia graphics card) on the computer but just don't know how to get and apply them without internet connection.

I do have access to an office computer which is internet-capable, but runs Windows. So we're talking about a guide on how to get the drivers using that Windows PC and apply them on the Mint 5 PC's. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Installing drivers on PC's without internet connection

Post by garda »

Well, I've tried installing the package downloaded from the above URL. But the installer says I must turn off X first, which I don't know how.

Anyway, I've also figured out an easier workaround:

1. Go to Control Center > Hardware Drivers, and enable the restricted driver for your nVidia Graphics card.
2. The applet would attempt to download the necessary package off of the internet, which of course fails since there's no Internet connection after all.
3. You'll see an error message containing an URL like
[http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... 5_i386.deb]
4. Copy and paste the URL into a text file, download the file using any internet-capable PC.

Installing the driver is fairly simple. Just double click the file (nvidia-glx_96.43.05+2.6.24.13-19.45_i386.deb in my case), enter your log on password when prompted and follow the instructions. That's it.

It's a noob thingy, hopefully useful to other noobs.

Btw, if the file you're looking for isn't available anymore, you may want to browse the HTTP server. Simply go to http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... es-2.6.24/ using a web browser and look for a file similar to the one needed by your Mint installation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing drivers on PC's without internet connection

Post by MagnusB »

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”