Recommended USB card readers for SD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Duffer

Recommended USB card readers for SD

Post by Duffer »

Having succeded partly with problems downloading photos from Nikon into Mint as per my thread of two days ago, I am now investigating what a poster suggested about making life simpler with a USB card reader. Researching on google indicates there have been problems in the past with this and I am hoping that someone can recommend a card reader for SD cards that is compatrible with Linux Mint.

Thanks for any replies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Recommended USB card readers for SD

Post by Reorx »

Duffer;

1) I have several laptops that were manufactured in the last 4 years or so... all have built in SD card readers... those were the readers that I was referring to in my post.

2) Any USB SD card reader should work... If you have a large, fast SD card and will be transferring gigabytes of data on a regular basis, you might want to get a USB 3 SD card reader... otherwise USB 2 is probably adequate and more attractively priced.

3) If you have OCD and need to see "Linux support" or compatibility in writing this (http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Windows- ... ard+reader) is an SD reader at Amazon that states Linux compatibility, multiple card support in a USB 2 platform at ~$8 delivered.

4) It might not be obvious at first glance but this forum is a relatively tightly knit group of friends / acquiaintances... many of whom come here to give something back to the community by trying to help others (we have all been newbies at some point in the past and gotten help from others)... in your other thread that you refer to, at least 6 other posters have posted replies after your last post... none of whom have you thanked or even acknowledged... don't for a minute think that that has gone un-noticed... If you are going to come here seaking assistance, it's always a nice touch if you are polite, considerate, and appreciative... (/rantoff)

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:

P.S.: If you are using the file manager as suggest in your referenced thread, there is no real advantage to using a card reader over simply plugging in the camera. Both are seen as a memory device by the system and files are manipulated the same way without regard to source (reader vs camera). The reason I use a reader is that all my laptops have them built in... if they didn't have built in readers, I'd probably use the USB cord that is supplied with the camera. Either method works equially well, whichever you like best is the one to use...
Last edited by Reorx on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Reorx

Thanks for reply which has been most useful since I was concluding that a card reader had some technical advantage over a cable. (Duffer by name ...) However I can see certain advantages of convenience over a cable so will probably take up your suggestion of the USB 2 at Amazon.

My laptop is, like me, quite old and does not have the refinements of inbuilt card readers so finds it difficult to keep up with modern technology!

You are quite right in having a 'rant' :oops: and I have apologised on my original thread. I can assure you that normally I follow the parental advice that "manners maketh man"!

p.s. Still can't find the spellcheck on this 'forom' :lol:
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Sounds like you're catching on... have fun...

In case you haven't checked the "Linux is not Windows" link in you other thread, have a look. There is a real difference in mind set between the Windows folks and the linux folks. The article is a bit if an eye opener...

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:

P.S.: I havnt found the spelcheekr either... :lol:

P.P.S.: See also your other thread... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

"P.S.: I havnt found the spelcheekr either... :lol:"

Maybe like downloading pics it's a 2 stage process in dkiss linux mint rather than automatic as in Windows xp :lol:

Thanks for your reply! :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”