MP-BIOS bug & IO-APIC timer error during install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

MP-BIOS bug & IO-APIC timer error during install

Postby MJOlsen on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:37 am

Anyone encounter this before?

I noticed it during installation of KDE-Mint, and Fedora 9 (installed on separate occasions). The error reads like this:

MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work. Boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the "noapic" option.

I never had this problem during my install of Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

I Googled the messages and discovered that during Mint's initial install page I could actually edit some text. So I added the "noapic" phrase right into the text and it seemed to work. The install proceeded until it was finished and a reboot was required, and when it restarted, I got that same error message again.

Any suggestions?

-M
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MP-BIOS bug & IO-APIC timer error during install

Postby Gobbolino on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:25 am

The following link may help (scroll down to the when you install section).

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_your_Live_CD#Motherboard_problems
Gobbolino
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:11 am

Try adding noapic in the boot options in the grub gfxmenu.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby MJOlsen on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Gobbolino wrote:The following link may help (scroll down to the when you install section).

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_your_Live_CD#Motherboard_problems

Thanks I'll try this one.
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MJOlsen on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks for your replies people, I was able to get mint installed onto a second hard drive by adjusting the BIOS and disabling APIC support.

New problem now, is that I currently switch between two hard drives depending on which operating system I want to use.

I use my main hard drive for Windows XP, and my second to experiment with various flavours of Linux.

When I power down my computer, swap SATA connections and attempt to boot into Windows, It freezes unless I restore the BIOS settings to their defaults (which inhibits my use of Mint until I adjust them again.)

Is there any solution to this? Eventually I'd like a dual boot on my 80 Gig between XP and whichever Linux brand I decide upon (Mint so far), but I'd need to solve these minor bugs first to make it convenient to switch between OS's.

Thanks.
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions