MP-BIOS bug & IO-APIC timer error during install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

MP-BIOS bug & IO-APIC timer error during install

Postby MJOlsen on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:37 am

Anyone encounter this before?

I noticed it during installation of KDE-Mint, and Fedora 9 (installed on separate occasions). The error reads like this:

MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work. Boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the "noapic" option.

I never had this problem during my install of Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

I Googled the messages and discovered that during Mint's initial install page I could actually edit some text. So I added the "noapic" phrase right into the text and it seemed to work. The install proceeded until it was finished and a reboot was required, and when it restarted, I got that same error message again.

Any suggestions?

-M
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MP-BIOS bug & IO-APIC timer error during install

Postby Gobbolino on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:25 am

The following link may help (scroll down to the when you install section).

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_your_Live_CD#Motherboard_problems
Gobbolino
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:11 am

Try adding noapic in the boot options in the grub gfxmenu.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby MJOlsen on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Gobbolino wrote:The following link may help (scroll down to the when you install section).

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_your_Live_CD#Motherboard_problems

Thanks I'll try this one.
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MJOlsen on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks for your replies people, I was able to get mint installed onto a second hard drive by adjusting the BIOS and disabling APIC support.

New problem now, is that I currently switch between two hard drives depending on which operating system I want to use.

I use my main hard drive for Windows XP, and my second to experiment with various flavours of Linux.

When I power down my computer, swap SATA connections and attempt to boot into Windows, It freezes unless I restore the BIOS settings to their defaults (which inhibits my use of Mint until I adjust them again.)

Is there any solution to this? Eventually I'd like a dual boot on my 80 Gig between XP and whichever Linux brand I decide upon (Mint so far), but I'd need to solve these minor bugs first to make it convenient to switch between OS's.

Thanks.
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions