Applications missing from menu? (solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Applications missing from menu? (solved)

Postby Mi4 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:16 pm

When I install an application (that doesn't just run via terminal or is just something that for other reasons shouldn't show up to begin with) about one time out of four it never ever shows up in my main menu. At first I figured they were bad packages or... I dunno... Something wrong with them. But it happens way too often for there to be anything wrong with it. Sometimes the menu is a bit slow at updating that it's gotten new launchers (is that the right word?), but those always show up after a little under a minute or so at most.

Help please. =(
I'm not even sure where applications end up so I'm not sure how to find out if there really is something wrong with the applications or if they're fine but just won't show up.

Oh, and it happens both when downloading through the package manager and when installing through the mint software portal. Re-installing them never seem to help, either.
Last edited by Mi4 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 5 x64

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 4GB
VGA: nVidia 8600GT (512MB)
Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Applications missing from menu?

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:32 am

Yes it takes a while for them to appear in the menu
The standard solution to this that almost always helps is
Right click the menu > Reload plugins
if that does not help
Right click the menu > Remove from panel wait a while right click panel (where you want the menu) Add to panel > mintMenu
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Mi4 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:31 am

I've tried the "reload plugins" before I'd posted it, and it'd been hours since I installed for some, even one or two I installed weeks ago has never shown up... I tried doing it again and I tried removing and re-adding the menu like you said, too. No good. =/

Here are some of the applications that won't show : "Conky" and "Secret Maryo Chronicles" from the Linux Mint sotware portal and "edict" and "stripclub" through synaptic. ... These should all show up, shouldn't they? There are one or two more but I can' think of what right now...

In /usr/share/applications are those just launchers or are they the actual applications? Anyways, they don't show up there, either.

Hm... they aren't all that many but they sure came all at once the other day. =/ There's been other before, too but I've long uninstalled those so I have no idea what they were.
Mint 5 x64

Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:20 pm

In /usr/share/applications you find launchers. There are a few that does not turn up (and should not turn up) in the menu but most do
I see that you mention stripclub (which I've learned is something to do with comic strips...)
Strangely enough another post was about strip club missing in the menu
You can make a launcher in the menu
Right click the menu > Edit menu > Add item
Most apps you install end up in /usr/bin which is in the path so the correct name of the file there should suffice
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby CavalierBob on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Did some quick poking at stripclub to see why it might not show in the menu. As I suspected, after looking at the contents of the deb file, stripclub does not ship with any icons or a .desktop file. That would explain why it is not in the menu. I would not be surprised if the other apps you mention suffer the same (upstream, as in the app author) problems

As Husse says, you can edit the menu and create your own launcher for stripclub. You will just have to pick some generic icon, though the icon is not absolutely necessary.

As an alternative, you could always use Gnome DO or Alt+ F2 to launch. Gnome DO is fast to open (Windows key + Spacebar) and works well.

Bob
All progress requires change, but not all change is progress.
--Henry Steele Commager

...there are some...who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those...who use their careers to promote change.
--Sarah Palin
CavalierBob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby AK Dave on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:01 pm

A lot of debs don't ship with a .desktop file.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Mi4 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:10 pm

Great thanks for the help! ^^
Mint 5 x64

Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions