Dual Boot with Windowx XP?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot with Windowx XP?

Postby MJOlsen on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:01 am

Hi,

Now that the people on this forum have helped me with getting around my APIC issues during installation, I'm wondering about a dual boot with Windows XP.

The issue being that I had to adjust the BIOS settings to get Mint to install, but those BIOS setting adjustments actually prevented Windows XP from booting (I have two hard drives - one for my default XP, the other for my experimenting with Linux brands).

Any ideas on how to solve this issue? The BIOS has to be adjusted depending on which OS I want to use, and that's just annoying.

Thanks.

-M
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot with Windowx XP?

Postby AK Dave on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:32 pm

You should not have had to change BIOS settings to install Mint. Thats silly. Why, please do tell, did you feel the need to do this?

There are a couple of excellent dual-boot tutorials on this website. Search is your friend.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MJOlsen on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:39 pm

AK Dave wrote:You should not have had to change BIOS settings to install Mint. Thats silly. Why, please do tell, did you feel the need to do this?

There are a couple of excellent dual-boot tutorials on this website. Search is your friend.

I kept getting this error when I tried to install Mint:

MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work. Boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the "noapic" option.

I guess I misread the instructions in this tutorial:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... d_problems

But if I recall correctly, pressing "F6" during the splash screen didn't do anything for me.

-M
MJOlsen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:08 pm

MJOlsen wrote:I kept getting this error when I tried to install Mint:

Did you do as suggested?
1. boot with apic=debug and send a report
2. booth with noapic

I guess I misread the instructions in this tutorial:

I don't know. I suppose that depends on what sort of issue you were having. Posting a link to a tutorial tells me exactly ZIP about what you were trying to do, what problems you were having, or how you tried to work around them. You haven't been very forthcoming.

New users who complain about stuff but aren't forthcoming when people attempt to help them are often quickly written off as trolls.

In general, if you expect to have a successful dual-boot situation with Windows (any) and Linux (any) you need a single computer that will support booting BOTH with the SAME bios settings. If you have to frak around with your bios settings, you're rarely going to get a successful dual boot that doesn't depend on frakking with bios settings and then only if you really know what you're doing.

So, its possible that you happen to be stuck with crappy hardware. That sucks. Don't blame Mint for crappy hardware; Mint has nothing to do with your hardware purchase choice(s). But its more likely that your hardware is perfectly fine.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions