Some partitioning questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Some partitioning questions

Postby Superhero Tony on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:24 am

I have a Dell laptop and im currently dual booting XP and Daryna. No problems atm.

I want to update to elyssa but at the same time i want to update my laptop so i have a partition for all my files and a partition for Linux. So in future it will be easier to upgrade or try a new distro.

At the minute My Dell laptop has several partitions.

Dell Media Direct
Dell Restore
Dell Utilities
Windows XP
Swap
Mint

Will there be any problems setting up another partition?

Next question is about upgrading/trying new distros. I use programs like ushare / hellanzb and Amarock. Do these have to be freshly installed and set up again when you try a new distro?

And finally. I know how to access my windows drive and copy media across to my linux drive. Is there a way the likes of Amarock can access my mp3s in my windows partition without copying mp3s to my Linux partition.

Cheers for any help
Superhero Tony
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Some partitioning questions

Postby AK Dave on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Superhero Tony wrote:Will there be any problems setting up another partition?

No.

Superhero Tony wrote:Next question is about upgrading/trying new distros. I use programs like ushare / hellanzb and Amarock. Do these have to be freshly installed and set up again when you try a new distro?

Yes and no. If your main linux install is done with a seperate /home partition then any other distro install can be directed to the same /home and will find all of your .config files just fine; however, many distros don't install amarok or those other apps by default and thus you'll still end up using the package manager to install those apps.

Superhero Tony wrote:Is there a way the likes of Amarock can access my mp3s in my windows partition without copying mp3s to my Linux partition.

Yes.

Oh, you wanted to know HOW to do this?

Yeah, mount the windows partition in linux and direct amarok to search from there for music. This will likely require editing your fstab. I suggest a mount point of /C and then it is just a matter of drilling down to the directory where the precious MP3 files are stashed. Or, my personal preference, create a seperate partition independant of windows that is only for media files and format it as fat32 so it can be seen from both linux and windows. Mount, drill, enjoy.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Superhero Tony on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Cheers Dave. Just what i was looking for. I may need help with editing the fstab when im at home. In fact i may leave it until after i update to Elyssa as its not a priority atm. I just want access to all my mp3s before i try out my ipod in Amorock.

Whats an ideal size for the actual linux partition? I want to pick a size that other distros will be happy with as id like to try out a few more at a later date.
Superhero Tony
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:16 pm

Linux partition size perfection is impossible to achieve as any partition scheme favored by one goober will be flamebait to another. Nevertheless, there is a most excellent partition tutorial in this forum and linked to from the Mint wiki.

My favorite tutorial on partitioning is here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=358&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Its my favorite because I contributed love to it.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions