Wifi Problem Mint Elysa!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Wifi Problem Mint Elysa!

Postby sohail101 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:36 am

Hey..i just spent hours trying each and every thing listed on the wifi tutorial..! but i still cant get it to work...i have a dual os..mint..along with vista..and the wifi light only turns on in vista..my card is Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN and i have a hp pavillion dv2000..when i searched for a driver in linux using mint wifi..it said bcm 3418..i have installed the driver through windows and copied it to linux and it does show hardware present YES..but after that when i check my networks it cant detect a wifi..also i still cant get the connect to other wifi netwroks despite editing the interface..i dont have another internet connection..my friend tried to install something called madwifi and a few dependencies..i think he down graded my ndiswrapper or something..i dunno what he did..anyway..is it possible to reinstall the os..i have partinioned my drive..so...how do i reinstall mint ?..otherwise if someone has a solution to the wifi problem than thatll be perfect..cuz i cant work without the internet..n vista kinda keeps crashing..n i really like mint..n dont want to change to some other distros..Thanks!
sohail101
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wifi Problem Mint Elysa!

Postby 67GTA on Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Open a terminal and post the output of
Code: Select all
lspci
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wifi Problem Mint Elysa!

Postby Husse on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Welcome to Mint
First off - please don't write so "compact" - a few line breaks and some shorter lines here and there makes it much easier to read - and I read hundreds of posts a week (or thereabouts :))
For a normal Mint (and I mean not tampered with) I would recommend this solution (if indeed you have a bcm4318 as you claim)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... ca757b2851
Works from Cassandra to Felicia
There is a link to it in the wifi wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
But if ndiswrapper has been removed (and network manager) you might consider reinstaling + the "No-Fluff" solution
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions