Still Having Problems with Canon Printer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ColinGLush

Still Having Problems with Canon Printer

Post by ColinGLush »

Kyphi,

I am still having problems getting my Canon Series 8100 printer to work.
After selecting it to print it says it is processing and the printer icon appears in the task bar but nothing happens and after a few second it stops and the icon disappears.
I have started from scratch, downloading the driver as you described and extracting etc. but to now avail.

Thanks again for your help CGL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
benali72
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Still Having Problems with Canon Printer

Post by benali72 »

Here are a few ideas. Try looking under the PRINTER panel (System -> Administration -> Printer). This will allow you to review the PRINTER PROPERTIES and see if anything looks odd or is amiss. Can you print the PRINT TEST PAGE from there? Usually if the Test Page fails you'll get some diagnostics that might help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MG8100series use Canon drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Colin; welcome to the forums; we hope you will enjoy using Mint

can I suggest you use the linux drivers that Canon supplies; for its printers;

that way you can:
1) print
2) monitor and adjust your printer settings and
3) use the scanner on the device

PRINTER DRIVER: you will be a) downloading a Canon driver from a Canon website and then b) installing it: .........happy with that........

go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 01902.html and click on the big red DOWNLOAD NOW button and the package is cnijfilter-mg8100series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz

you need to paste the commands that I show below; into a terminal and hit the enter key after each paste: OK?

(The terminal is found by going to MENU at bottom-left; clicking on menu; going up about 4-5 icons to the TV-type icon; click on that to open it; to paste, use the top line with the mouse ie start at menu and move to the right to Edit and down to paste
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg8100series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg8100series-3.40-1-deb
./install.sh
..........maybe read through this a couple of times to familiarise yourself; if you do as above, the printer driver will install;

let's check; after doing the above; what printer listings you have: click on the link to the right and it opens CUPS (linux printing system adminstration) http://localhost:631/printers/

look in the 4th column (the one at the right: called Make and Model and look for the entry that says
CanonMG8100 series version 3.40
........then go to QUEUE NAME at the left and see what name it is called there.........because that is the name you want to click on; when you do a trial print .......................

let's get the printer going and then do 2) and 3) I mentioned at the beginning
ColinGLush

Re: Still Having Problems with Canon Printer

Post by ColinGLush »

Thank you for your help. I have at last got it to print, not quite sure what I did. Went into Control Centre, printer, and offered to download drivers, which I did, and it worked. But now I want to do it WIFI'ly, cannot find a way of doing it!

Thaks CGL

Return to “Beginner Questions”