fat32's a.k.a. ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

fat32's a.k.a. ?

Post by locutus »

I'm using krusader in M5-gnome (my preferred file manager) on my laptop. On this machine is Vista (ntfs), Mint (ext3) and a 30 Gig partition for storage that I formatted as fat32 so both Mint and Vista would have easy access to anything there. I had to modify fstab to list both those partitions, and then add the folders (sda2 & sda3) in krusader to gain access to the partitions.

Access to the ntfs drive works fine. But when I click on the storage partition I get this message:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: unknown filesystem type 'fat32'

Are fat32 partitions listed as something else? It was formatted using gparted as fat32, and when I look at it again in gparted it's listed fat32, so what did I do wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: fat32's a.k.a. ?

Post by msuggs »

use 'vfat' instead of fat32 in your fstab
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: fat32's a.k.a. ?

Post by locutus »

Thank you. That did it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”