sytem hangs a lot when ripping DVDs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

sytem hangs a lot when ripping DVDs

Postby klemperal on Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm not really sure why, but my system hangs, runs slow, and is unresponsive when I'm ripping DVDs on mint. I have plenty of space on my drive and 2 gigs of ram so I don't think thats the issue--especially since it doesn't happen on my XP partition. Any ideas on how I could speed things up or what the problem could be?
klemperal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: sytem hangs a lot when ripping DVDs

Postby Linux n00b on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:10 pm

what software do you use? The best so far is k9copy. If you have problem with other software, try k9copy first.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-- Albert Einstein
Linux n00b
Level 3
Level 3

Postby klemperal on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:16 pm

I use ripit4me, dvdfab and vobcopy. Vobcopy (a linux program) makes stuff run slow just like the windows programs so I don't think its an issue with wine. I'll check K9copy out again, but doesn't it only allow you to rip 1 audio and 1 sub scripture stream?
klemperal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby klemperal on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Ok, running K9copy right now and it's making things just as sluggish as the other programs mentioned above. Any other ideas?
klemperal
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Linux n00b on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:48 am

It sounds like something wrong with your Linux. k9copy runs very fast on my laptop. backup a DVD would take me about 40min and that's with 20 - 30% CPU usage (couldn't remember memory usage, but it is pretty low). I have 4G RAM and a mid-low performance CPU (Core2 Duo T5870) in today's market term.

Only couple of things I could think of.

1. Do you have any issue playing DVD on your computer? I read sometimes DMA mode is not enabled for your dvd drive, and playback (or anything else) will be very slow. I trust you can google this.

2. have you monitored your system resource usage?
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-- Albert Einstein
Linux n00b
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions