Failed to install restricted drivers. help pls.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Failed to install restricted drivers. help pls.

Postby bbsmitho on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:56 am

Just installed Linux Mint and it looks a very polished OS. But it would take time for me to fully understand it. I just tried to update the restricted drivers i.e. my Nvidia card drivers but the following error came:

"W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... 1_i386.deb
404 Not Found"

Please inform me what to do. Thanks :)
bbsmitho
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Failed to install restricted drivers. help pls.

Postby garda on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:47 am

I experienced a similar problem a few days back. But worry not, this problem is actually very easy to solve.

That 404 error comes out because the installer links to a file no longer existing on the repo server. You can copy the URL and paste it onto Firefox's address bar (or any other browser you fancy), but delete the last part (nvidia-glx-new_169.12+2.6.24.13-18.41_i386.deb) before hitting enter. You should now be browsing the server's content. Simply find a file most similar to the one linked to by the installer.

I think nvidia-glx-new_169.12+2.6.24.13-19.45_i386.deb is the one you should download. After the file has been downloaded, simply double-click it. You will be prompted to enter your logon password. The succeeding steps are very easy, just follow the on-screen instructions.

Don't forget to enable the newly installed driver by going to Control Center > Hardware Drivers and put a check mark there. And you may have to restart to make sure it's working properly.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Stefan on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:37 am

I always use the EnvyNG program when I install the graphic drivers on Ubuntu or Mint.

First do all normal updates, then start System Tools - EnvyNG. It should be extremely obvious what to do from there :) It will tell you to reboot when it's done.

Good luck!
Stefan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garda on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:59 am

Oops.. Forgot to mention EnvyNG. Stefan's right, you can use EnvyNG as opposed to the manual method I explained above.

Once you manage to install the driver, enable Compiz and configure it to further suit your taste, you'll find yourself increasingly becoming a Mint addict. :D
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Stefan on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:01 am

Actually, Compiz is enabled by default (or rather it gets enabled as soon as Mint detects that your graphic card supports 3D effects). In other words, as soon as you reboot after installing the driver, Compiz is enabled.

...Or if it's EnvyNG that automatically enables it... I don't know, but there is no need to enable it manually.
Stefan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garda on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:16 am

Stefan wrote:there is no need to enable it manually.

Hmm... That's odd, I had to enable it manually after installing the nVidia driver. That, nonetheless, is just a (very) minor glitch since Compiz works like a charm anyway. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bbsmitho on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks all for your help. Luckily when I logged in this time I tried again to install the restricted drivers and this time all happened well. The drivers got installed automatically. So this problem is solved. Anyway I thank you for your help. The problem is solved. Best regards :D
bbsmitho
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions