Emerald on Xfce

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Emerald on Xfce

Postby mattfitz on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:10 pm

To make a long story short, I installed Linux Mint yesterday, and have been experimenting with window managers and such, but I ran into one issue which I can't seem to figure out: while Emerald works on gnome, no window decoration appears while i am running Xfce. Is there a separate installation procedure for Xfce or something? I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
mattfitz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Emerald on Xfce

Postby nelamvr6 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:17 pm

You need to enable compiz.

click the main menu button, then select XFCE 4 MintConfig.

Then select the Desktop tab, and then XFCE 4 Desktop. there you will see where to enable compiz.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mattfitz on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:02 pm

This is going to sound like an incredibly stupid question, but what main menu button am i hitting? The panel thing in xfce doesn't have any but one blank button on it, and I can't find anything like that in the right-click menu.
mattfitz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nelamvr6 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:06 pm

mattfitz wrote:This is going to sound like an incredibly stupid question, but what main menu button am i hitting? The panel thing in xfce doesn't have any but one blank button on it, and I can't find anything like that in the right-click menu.

Well I installed Mint XFCE, not just the windows manager. If you click the blank button do you have Xfce 4 MintConfig as one of your choices?

If not, I have no idea how to proceed...
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mattfitz on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:19 pm

Yeah, I installed the gnome version and then decided later to try out Xfce, and have just downloaded the xfce metapackage. Thanks for the quick reply and help though.
mattfitz
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions