still don't understand how to install.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
congresstart

still don't understand how to install.

Post by congresstart »

this is yet another plea for help in installing something. i simply don't understand how to do it. to me it seems unnecessarily difficult compared to windows. why not make it as simply as possible?

i've just download the opera browser for linux.
i now have an opera folder on the deskstop and also another opera icon that says tar bzz or similar.

i click on the folder mentioned above and go to another folder that has has lib, intall, share, opera.
i've clicked on them and get asked if i wish to run or display.

i have no idea what is going on!!!

i know there are installation guides but i don't find them easy enough to follow. i don't know the terminology that gets mentioned, things that most here would know easily.
can someone give me a simple step by step guide on how to install software that i do not get from the software manager please?
no abbreviations, no initials, etc.
there must be 2 or 3 things a person has to do each time they wish to install and use something.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: still don't understand how to install.

Post by kukamuumuka »

If you downloaded Opera from Opera´s own site, you can install opera.deb package using GDebi.
32-bit -> http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os ... 6&list=all
64-bit -> http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os ... 4&list=all

PS. Opera is found in the package management also.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install opera
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I have Opera in my Software Manager
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

congresstart wrote: to me it seems unnecessarily difficult compared to windows. why not make it as simply as possible?
What can be easier and more straight forward than launching "Software Manager", locating the software that you want and having "Software Manager" install it for you?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

congresstart wrote:this is yet another plea for help in installing something. i simply don't understand how to do it. to me it seems unnecessarily difficult compared to windows. why not make it as simply as possible?

i've just download the opera browser for linux.
This is where you took your first left turn! Thinking like a Windows user you looked "online" for the software you wanted! ALWAYS look first in Synaptic (if you know the name) or Software Manager (if you don't know the name) of software that you seek... the repositories are huge! Odds have it that the software you seek is in the repos... if it is, installation is a click (or 2) away... :mrgreen: (only search the internet for software if you can't find it in the repos.)

In this case Opera is in the repos... since you know the name - open Synaptic and type "opera" in the search field. in the scrolling box below, click Opera and select "mark for installation", then in the menu above click "Apply"... watch the magic happen... when it stops, you will have Opera installed and ready to use...

Go gett'em tiger... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Reorx on Thu May 15, 2014 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
jijames

Post by jijames »

Hi congresstart,
Like the other posts say, one of the easiest ways to install software in Linux Mint is to use the "Software Manager". In Cinnamon it is under "Menu -> Administration -> Software Manager". The "Menu" is a lot like the "Start" menu in Windows. When you start the "Software Manager" you will be asked for your password.

From the Software Manager you can search for all packages that are maintained in various repositories*. From the screenshot, just type in 'Opera' where the magnifying glass is, and hit enter. Double click the program you want to install, and click the "Install" button.

There are a lot of programs available in the Software Manager, and these are by far the easiest to install. You will always automatically get the version of the program that works with your system.
----------------
However, sometimes you might want to install programs from other places. For example, if the program is not listed in the Software Manager. In this case, you want to look for files with the extension ".deb". This basically like an installer file. In Linux Mint you can just double-click on (trusted) .deb files, and it will ask if you want to install the program.

When choosing a .deb to download, you often need to know about your operating system, ie. 32bit/64bit, OS version, dependent software versions. If the .deb file is not compatible with your system, it will probably not install. If it does install and is not comparable, the program will probably just not run.
----------------
Other than the Software Manager and installing from a .deb, you can also install software from source. Normally source files come in something like "tar", "bz", etc. These files are basically like "zip" files. That is why when you open it there are more files inside. Compiling from source is definitely the most difficult way to install software, but sometimes you might want to. See this link for an introduction: http://www.wikihow.com/Compile-a-Program-in-Linux
----------------
To recap:
1) Try to find the software you want with the Software Manager. If it is not there...
2) Try to find a .deb package of the software (for your system) from the vendor's website. Download it, and double click on it to install. If all else fails...
3) Download the "source" files (like tar, tar.gz, zip, etc), unpack the software and build it [instructions above]

*to learn more about repositories you might start here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
congresstart

Post by congresstart »

many thanks to everyone.
yes you're correct, i do forget to see if the software i'm after is right under my nose!

cheers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”