Remote Access

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Remote Access

Postby daigu on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:51 am

Hi all,

I am trying to setup remote access to my machine, I have configured my router for the relevant port etc etc. Do I need to do anything within Linux Mint to allow me to remote in? I'm using VNC.

Regards

Daigu
daigu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Remote Access

Postby Mr. Blue on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:02 pm

I haven't tried it in Mint, but the Remote Desktop gui looks like it'll do the job.

You can find it in the main menu under Preferences -> Remote Desktop
...and that should work...theoretically.
Mr. Blue
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Remote Access

Postby DapperMe17 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm

NoMachines.com....download & install the free client, node and server software on your "server" PC. Install the client on the PC you wish to remote from.

You'll simply need "openssh" from the repository, on both machines.

There is "no" terminal setup for these programs. It's possibly the easiest secure vnc you'll ever encounter :o

Run the wizard from the remote machine & you're set.

You may, or may not, have to set port-forwarding in your router, to allow port "22" to the internal IP address of your PC that is the server.
DapperMe17
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions