Use of old laptops for Mint remotely save them from scrap!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Use of old laptops for Mint remotely save them from scrap!

Postby mkb on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:52 pm

I've 3 old laptops in the 400-ghz range which aren't really up to much anymore, but with serious spinal injuries (cue strings lah dee dah la da dee dah) and polymyalgia sitting at desks ain't good for me, so I want to be able to go back to bed and recline on the raiseable backrest...

I've "scroogled" up about a million hits on dumb terminals and old laptops, and can't sit up reading any more for tonight (like ouch it hurts) and so far not found one that is sufficiently newbie for me to understand nor it seems simple enough. There is just too much to wade through without the help of an experienced guiding hand or two pointing me in productive directions compared to my own bemused readings of "un-refereed" article of which there seem to be so many...

A lot of stuff is about virtualisation too which seems to be taking over the computing world - is this really what one should be aiming at or just simply serving up an "X-terminal" ... which I've yet to see and use but assume its just like the terminal that the host computer is running (in this case Elyssia)...? I'd like to recreate the Mint desktop. (Which I've come to prefer over anything else I've used except Suse's kitchen sink and plumbing style, but I've ditched Suse after a decade due to their supping with the devil despite my knowing it so well - the best operating system is of course the one you know, as they say. So while Ubuntu might not be totally FSF kosher, hey lets do the comparisons eh!).

So which way should one go? Xterminal or VM? And what to run on the rather thin clients to pick up the "broadcast"? I've got "linux OK" wifi cards from Linux Emporium so at least don't have to struggle with the benighted ndis wrappers I see so many howls of agony about!

SO anyone got any pointers to a good, easy to follow for morons stoned on opiates much of the day to look after young kids (well its that or stay in bed leaving them alone in front of the idiot mindshrinking box and as one of them is already classified gifted and talented that would be a shame...) err as I was saying, a recommended how-to in order to escape the desk and have freedom to roam about the house (as I am virtually housebound freedom to roam the landscape in search of open wifi isn't really such an optional necesity!).

I'm an ecofreak of some 40 years standing (no bandwagon jumper is I) so if there is a way to wring some more years use out of these old laptops before consigning them to what is jokingly called recycling (mostly poor exploited peasants doing sweated labour melting out solder over open fires in their huts saturating the environment with Pb etc plus plastic combustion wastes, double plus ungood) then I'm up for it, even if it does mean that I don't get to have a spanking new Mac Air in lily white to play with (not that I could afford one anyway).

The proposed host computer is the most modern I've ever owned - a s/h XPC Shuttle core2duo 2ghz base unit with at present 3gb of ram and 160x2 raided satas (though will probably have to give up 1gb ram to my wife for her PC which is underspecced for her work when she is at home couple of days a week).

Methinks thats probably enough to run an x terminal or two or a couple of VMs, whichever is the best option for the old laptops....

Many thanks and a bit rambling on the morphine >;)
Malcolm
mkb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Use of old laptops for Mint remotely save them from scrap!

Postby mkb on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:54 pm

Err make that laptops in the 400mhz to 1.4ghz range with low memory and small disks, all second hand or donated... 400ghz computers? Wow wouldn't that be quite something, yeah.
mkb
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions