new to the block

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

new to the block

Postby tuckroll on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:18 pm

Hello I am a new person for this linux mint stuff, LOVE IT - need help on a couple of things.

1. down in the task bar it seems that I have two desk tops open - right next to the Daryna tag there is a tomboy notes tag then two tags with what ever site I a on kinda like a mirror tag.

2. can any one help with info on hooking up the printer I have - it is a lexmark X2500

thanks once more - look forward to learning more as time goes.

Kind regards

new to the block
tuckroll
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: new to the block

Postby msuggs on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:25 pm

I don't think you'll have much luck with that printer. Lexmark have notoriously poor support for Linux if they support it all any more. The info at the link below indicates that the x2500 is in the paperweight range when it comes to Linux. I'd suggest having a look at HP instead.

http://www.openprinting.org/printer_lis ... ke=Lexmark
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby locutus on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:09 pm

I agree about the HP printers. I _hate_ HP's Windows software setup -- way too bloated -- but their Mac & Linux software is perfect: all the needed features without the bloat. HP's support for Linux is impressive, and their printers are top notch. I have a wireless networked C7280 & love it.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby exploder on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Unfortunately, Lexmark has poor Linux support. I traded my Lexmark for an HP printer a long time ago because of support. I have heard of some people having success with an older Lexmark 600 series driver but I was not so fortunate.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby 900i on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Welcome to the Mint forum, regarding Lexmark, just sprag the door open with it. HP is the way to go. :D
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bobpur on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 pm

I, once, had an old lexmark printer (forgot the model) that I used a HP driver to get going. Not full functionality, but enough to do black & white text.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions