Slight sound glitch? (Missing second?)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Slight sound glitch? (Missing second?)

Postby Mi4 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:20 pm

It seems some sounds get slightly chopped off, sometimes an entire second or so, at the start of playing a sound, but generally about half a second. It happens when I do the kind of hover-over a sound file in nautilus when it plays like a preview? It also happens when Amarok is playing and a new track starts, though not when I mark a track and start it myself, it seems. It's not a big issue but I think it's an annoyance. Most of the time this sort of thing works fine, though. I'm not sure if it's specific to some applications or what it is. There's nothing wrong with the sound at all, otherwise.

It doesn't seem to matter how much of a process load my computer is under, either. Oh, and it doesn't seem to happen in movies or games. Only things like the sound preview-thingie and things like aMSN making sounds and uh... Such. And Amarok for some reason but only occasionally. It seems semi-random in general.

I only have an integrated sound-card (a Realtek ALC888DD Audio Controller chipset).

Any help is appreciated.
Mint 5 x64

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 4GB
VGA: nVidia 8600GT (512MB)
Mi4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Slight sound glitch? (Missing second?)

Postby Husse on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:29 am

You've been waiting too long for an answer - but frankly I have none. It's nothing I've heard of
Realtek and sound is also a fairly new combination for me.
Realtek writes about the card that it is HDA compatible
This may mean that some solution for HDA sound may work - search the forum for HDA and sound - but the risk is that an attempt to fix it may make things worse
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions